What is your go-to food?

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has dealt with fish not willing to eat. I'm curious as to what you use to entice them? For me, live brine, frozen mysis and bloodworms, krill, shrimp, nori, seaweed and sometimes pellets don't work. The fish don't even look at them. What I have found that every fish loves is Omega One Super Veggie kelp flakes. Even now, all of my carnivore love them. As of now, they are the only thing my Kole, Coral Beauty and cleaner wrasse eat (that last one was a surprise, but he absolutely loves them!!). So, what is everyone else's go-to food?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I need to catch a fish in a trap, my go-to food is mysis.....either frozen of freeze-dried. It seems like everyone likes mysis. Otherwise I feed a variety of foods to my little pigs....flake/nori/homemade frozen/black worms/mysis/table shrimp. The only picky eaters I have are a pair of pajama cardinals who only eat shrimp. Otherwise everyone else is pigging out on whatever goes in the tank.....even my clownfish are at the algae clip.

YodaHart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rogger's Reef Food - Complete Blend Plus
Every fish I've ever owned loves it. My corals even start feeding once I drop it in the tank.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a fish is a finicky eater, I use live black worms. Seems to work for me. good luck.

X2 + live brine is a close tie.

Last edited:

Steven C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Reef Frenzy i started using a couple of weeks ago and my fish go crazy for it

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got all my anthias, leopard wrasses and 2 of 3 mandarins eating on Nutra-Mar Ova (aka) fish crack, mixed with Cyclopeeze. Oh and a Copper band. Love the stuff. Have hoarded 3 locks of it. 2nd food is Reef Frenzy, once the fish eat they go absolutely nuts over that stuff.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis Shrimp

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally feed a mix of PE mysis and frozen black worms. Also LRS everyone in a while. At times I will mix in fish roe as well when I can find it.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like Rod's food. I think I might have to try the kelp though. I'm sure veggies are always good for fish :)

FishFishFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried them all in my Business Saltwater systems, and hands-down LRS Reef Frenzy and Fish Frenzy is my favorite. All fish love it and coral are very responsive to it.... I really did like the Cyclopeeze FreezerBar too, but it seems to be gone forever now.

www.fishfishfishnc.com, facebook.com/fishfishfishnc, twitter.com/fishfishfishnc

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down... LRS Reef Frenzy.
I buy 3 packs at a time and also mix in a pack of Herbivore or Fish Frenzy also.

Great response from the fish and corals.
The fish will even try to get into the cup before I pour some food out!

The best thing about this frozen food is that when it thaws, it's all food; there's hardly any water in the bags.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of months back I bought a sailfin tang. He refused to eat anything I could come up with. Either fresh or frozen. Finally I went to an old standby. Rinsed a small can of spinach and tossed it into the blender with a couple of raw eggs. Blended till smooth. Warmed in teflon skillet until set, like scrambled eggs. Flattened on wax paper and freeze. Thawed a small bit and added to the tank. One taste and the tang would eat all I put in the tank. A week or so later he now eats anything I put in the tank. You can add a bit of carrot, liver, and shrimp plus more eggs to make a suitable for all food. I've raised generations of fresh water fish and plenty of salt water fish on it alone. I've even fed it to anemonies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back