WHAT MAKES YOU WANT TO BUY AN ACRO??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price(including shipping) is a factor right now and historical popularity. By that I mean I’d much rather have a classic than the next “Blackbeard Rises Tenius”. Color doesn’t have to pop as I run a white tank. Give me any of the following (my dream list):

ORA Pearl Berry

ORA German Blue

Oregon Tort

Pink Setosa

Green Slimer

Garf Bonsai

Tyree Red Dragon

OG Purple Monster

Tyree Pink Lemonade

Shades of fall

Palmers Blue Milli

ORA Hawkins

Greg Hillers Aquamarine Jewel

Ice fire Enchinata

Palleta Pink Tip

Z’s Blue Floyd

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price is almost exclusively the driver. I have a rule not to spend over a certain dollar amount on acros. As mentioned earlier prices are almost comical now a days even during “sales”. Plenty of colors out there but I have no interest in blowing money on them.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color and price mainly. Anymore I just buy from my local reef club and members. The price of nubs and the unreliability of shipping from online sellers has me pretty angry. Who in their right mind can still charge over $200 for a WD frag?

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think acro's are beautiful to look at and they are not easy to raise i am finaly getting a idea how to grow them so beautiful to me they are amazing corals

Tannermule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main reason for recent love for acros is the small movements in the polyps. Don't get me wrong long waving torches, gonis, pulsing xeina or even GSP is fun to watch, but something about that small movement up-close is neat to me.

As for colors I really like "multi" colored versions. Like my vivid confetti. the base is green, but it is red. I one day want a splice, but after I hit the jackpot.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price is almost exclusively the driver. I have a rule not to spend over a certain dollar amount on acros. As mentioned earlier prices are almost comical now a days even during “sales”. Plenty of colors out there but I have no interest in blowing money on them.
Although I completely appreciate what you're saying and agree the "sale" prices are almost comical sometimes. Especially when prices jump up right before a sale starts, which then the sale brings the price back down close to where it was....

HOWEVER, there is something about the super colorful corals, with nice polyp extension that not everyone has, which draws my attention and desire to have. In the way people collect sports cards, artwork, cars, coins, etc, etc,.
In fact, I was just telling my wife today, I'm going to buy corals less often than I used to, but buy more of the expensive collector corals.

With that said, @TopShelfAquatics When do you expect to start selling the RRU Angry Bird in the WYSIWYG section again?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) price, I bought a WD this spring at $90 my most expensive frag until bloodbank from BC grow out contest. $100,comes today infact. ;)
2) Hardiness, I also hate losing frags. I really don't want ones that are temperamental.
3) colors, my tank is full. If I'm going to get another frag, it better be a unique color pattern/color.

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Although I completely appreciate what you're saying and agree the "sale" prices are almost comical sometimes. Especially when prices jump up right before a sale starts, which then the sale brings the price back down close to where it was....

HOWEVER, there is something about the super colorful corals, with nice polyp extension that not everyone has, which draws my attention and desire to have. In the way people collect sports cards, artwork, cars, coins, etc, etc,.
In fact, I was just telling my wife today, I'm going to buy corals less often than I used to, but buy more of the expensive collector corals.

With that said, @TopShelfAquatics When do you expect to start selling the RRU Angry Bird in the WYSIWYG section again?
It will be a little while longer. We are having to let it regrow as we sold quite a few frags from it.

Last edited:

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be a little while longer. We are having to let it regrow as we sold quit a few frags from it.
This question will tell you I've never had a colony grow large enough to take a ton of frags off of, but do you have to start a new colony once you've fragged an acro so many times or will it grow back to its natural shape eventually?

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This question will tell you I've never had a colony grow large enough to take a ton of frags off of, but do you have to start a new colony once you've fragged an acro so many times or will it grow back to its natural shape eventually?
It will grow back but we do not cut them down to stumps. Sometimes if you cut them down to stumps the colony can get stunted and not regrow.

Last edited:

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This I agree with to some extent. I only have a 30 gallon display and now that it’s almost full I’d rather get one $180 tenuis than 3 $60 pieces. that being said, the tenuis is still $180 not $799 on sale ;)

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This I agree with to some extent. I only have a 30 gallon display and now that it’s almost full I’d rather get one $180 tenuis than 3 $60 pieces. that being said, the tenuis is still $180 not $799 on sale ;)
Exactly. I actually started typing in the post above about running out of real estate for corals and how buying expensive corals (less often and less quantity) helps with that problem.

I hear ya, $799 is crazy for one small single branch less than 1" frag. However, there is still demand for it, so I get it. I think its easier to drop that kind of coin when you're selling frags out of your tank and then turning around and putting the money back into the tank. Hopefully I'll get to that point again someday.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Hypnotic Haze is probably my favorite out of the new millis we have! It has really nice bright pink skin.

52146836060_64c2281108_b.jpg
What was one of the other new Millis you guys had online a couple months ago? Wasn't there one called Orange Matrix or something like that? I remember that one being nice

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I like it all, my only problem keeping them alive. We have one now and it starting to bleach. All other corals are growing. I guess, I need a lesson.

SPS can definitely be frustrating at first. We have killed a number of pieces even with decades of combined experience here at our farm. I am sure it gets old hearing this, but stability is definitely key! Second to that good lighting and flow is next. Don't give up though! If you ever have any questions we are always glad to help!

Keep Going Valentines Day GIF by I Want You Back Movie

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look for acros that look good during the day under daylights and still glow at night! Thinking Pink Floyd, Vivid rainbow, PC rainbow etc. blues are great but I don’t want a purple/dark pink/brown coral in the day light for most of my reef.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back