What salt do you use.

  • Thread starter Thread starter whammack
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

What salt do you use?


  • Total voters
    155
Natural Seawater.
 
I had been using Aquaforest Reef Salt but recently switched to Aquaforest Hybrid Pro Salt...it was on sale so I thought why not. I've done appx 6 water changes with it. Corals seem to be happy with it.
 
Bump!

Has anyone seen or used this ASF Reef Evolution salt? I have a local pet store (not a true LFS) that has a good price on this, assuming it really mixes 200 gallons at the 35 ppm I like to run. It's supposed to be made by Dr. Tim Hovenec, from Dr. Tim's Aquatics, makers of the popular One and Only bottled bacteria:

https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Reef-Evolution-Sea-Salt_p_730.html
IMG_0647.jpeg
 
Fritz Blue Box. I actually pay a little more for the one that is split into four bags. I make one full bag at a time.

Fritz comes in above regular IO but below reef crystals for me. Mixes clear, and always available where I get it. You can also put the lot number in on their website and they'll send you the parameters it should test at.
 
Changed from Red Sea to moder reef about 3 years ago pricey but well worth it
 
I went with Tropic Marin Pro Reef after seeing how long it stays mixed in solution. When planning my tank, I knew I would want to do automated water changes through the wall and needed something that had long stability.
 
Nyos PURE

Best new salt on the market.

Premium salt but not as overpriced as some of the other premium salts.

Best parameters I've found.
 
I just use instant ocean reef crystal. They are pretty inexpensive. :)
 
Bump!

Has anyone seen or used this ASF Reef Evolution salt? I have a local pet store (not a true LFS) that has a good price on this, assuming it really mixes 200 gallons at the 35 ppm I like to run. It's supposed to be made by Dr. Tim Hovenec, from Dr. Tim's Aquatics, makers of the popular One and Only bottled bacteria:

https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Reef-Evolution-Sea-Salt_p_730.html
IMG_0647.jpeg
Myself and one of the largest stores in my area tried this salt. We were very disappointed. Alkalinity was mixing significantly higher than advertised, calcium lower, etc. We sent individual ICP’s out and both came back confirming our at home tests. When we contacted DR Tim’s and provided our results along with the batch numbers we were told they were waiting for the French Lab to respond. We stopped using it shortly after.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new