What shape is your light intensity schedule?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday morning pondering...

Way back when, we put our lights on plain old timers and they turned on and off at a certain time of day. Then we realized we could simulate a sunrise/sunset effect by turning some of the bulbs on and off at different times, or by using fancier timers that let the intensity ramp up and ramp down.

Now lots of people run their lights in ways that let them have all kinds of control over the light intensity throughout the course of a day, but I still see lots of lighting schedules that basically look like this:
flat-profile.png

Dana keeps showing us graphs of natural light over the course of a day that look like this:
daily-par.png

So does it make sense we should be running our lights the same way? It's easy to set up something that's a close approximation, and you could get even closer if you felt like adding just a few more points:
round-profile.png

I know that people like Jamie Craggs are looking how replicating seasonal light and temperature cycles, lunar cycles, etc., influence coral spawning, so it seems like we could be giving our tanks a more natural lighting experience.

Just curious whether there might be advantages to running our tanks with a more natural profile, or if there are reasons why a "flatter" profile might be better (or if it's just a carryover from when that's all we could manage).

For example, if you set the intensity of the flat spot at the point where photosaturation is going to happen anyway, does that just mean you're getting the most efficient use of the light you're providing? Or is there still some other benefit to the corals to have a more natural intensity change over the course of the day which would make the rounded profile more desirable?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do what they call the "bell curve" but now I have my schedule set up to come on in the morning, ramp up for an hour and then sits at peak intensity for 8 hours before ramping back down to off. H as to change it after i got T5s as they're not dimmable.
Screenshot_20180513-134037_Kessil WiFi Controller - Phone.jpg

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ramp up/down a total of 8 hrs with 3 hr of peak intensity for a total of 11 hr light cycle. Guess I'm a bell curve.

gone_phishin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i almost made a thread about this on another forum a couple days ago

i have always wondered if it were better to have more of a peaking curve or plateau curve since i got my first wifi app controllable LED. i currently run a plateau type light schedule but have recently thought about slowly increasing to a higher peak, with less duration.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back