What Size Should Naso Tangs Be Kept In At Minimum?

What is the Minimum for Naso Tangs?

• 180 G

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • 210 G

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • 220 G

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • 265 G

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • 300 G

Votes: 35 28.5%
  • Other

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • Less Than 180

Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a baby blonde naso in a 72"x24"x24" tank. It works well. I have rock work in the middle of the tank which allows him to swim in-front and behind. Everything I read says they grow slowly, however he has almost doubled in size in 3-5 months. When he gets to adult size will see if I should get 8' tank for him. Otherwise I have a buddy that can take him who has a 12 footer!!!

Last edited:

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso ( Lipstick tang) are very popular like most people have mentioned they do get big, if you are happy having one that starts small and your tank is Not! really going to accommodate him or her, when they grow, you will know it’s time to pass it on to your local marine store and start again, but if you can’t bare to part with you nurtured Naso than a bigger! at least 6ft tank would be needed.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I just thought about it, one of the biggest issues.
Captive Bred Fish...
Of course, they are going to know nothing about the actual area that they are supposed to in the wild, they will think that the tank they are kept in is their ocean. So biggest issue they might even know they swim that much.
Not arguing but just saying the argument to all of this.
So if I buy a Greyhound puppy it’s ok to keep him in a 6’ x 6’ pen because he doesn’t know he supposed to run?

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for a few years now in my 180 (72"x24"x24"). He/she has been a slow grower from my experience, maybe 5" now. I have a pretty wide open layout which gives plenty of swimming room. I certainly wouldn't put them in anything smaller than 6 feet long.

OP
OP
NC122606

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I buy a Greyhound puppy it’s ok to keep him in a 6’ x 6’ pen because he doesn’t know he supposed to run?
I don’t think you understand...
I was never trying to argue this, you cannot compare a dog to fish. Dogs are going to be way less active as a puppy, this is like saying a baby and Pro Athlete have the same energy. Not to mention Greyhounds get way larger than a tang. I was never trying to argue but you brought this upon yourself.

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you understand...
I was never trying to argue this, you cannot compare a dog to fish. Dogs are going to be way less active as a puppy, this is like saying a baby and Pro Athlete have the same energy. Not to mention Greyhounds get way larger than a tang. I was never trying to argue but you brought this upon yourself.
Huh? Puppies are usually more active than adults

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the freshwater fish that seem to go through this same thing are,
Oscars (Most people but these it little tanks not realizing they get a foot long.)
Goldfish (Bowls... They need 30 - Pond Gallons depending on the type.)
Common Pleco (People do not realize these get over 2 ft and put them in their 20 gallons.)
My first fish was an oscar in a 10 gallon when I was 10 years old. Nobody told me that little 2 inch fish would get that big. Also guilty of throwing that common pleco in there with him later.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank needs to be longer than 6 ft for an adult IMO.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing how a dessumeri (?spelling) tang grew on my 300 gallon, and took things over. I would say a 600 gal is minimum for a full grown Naso tang. I thing they get over a foot long. They need lots of room.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question would be which Naso?

Most of them are not suitable for any of us beyond monster tanks.

The exceptions would be N. elegans and N. literatus. Somewhere in the 8' 240 there, in my opinion.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question would be which Naso?

Most of them are not suitable for any of us beyond monster tanks.

The exceptions would be N. elegans and N. literatus. Somewhere in the 8' 240 there, in my opinion.

Thank you, was about to make this very point. Naso is a genus, not a single species .... even if most people don’t realize that. Naso Elegans and/or literatus need at least a six foot tank, ideally eight. Vlamingi outgrew even my 8’ 450 and had to be rehomed. Current one is barely 3” so I figure a few years. My brevirostris came to me with some health issues and appears to have stopped growing at about 9”. I also have a juvenile unicornis.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it isn't all about swimming space, tangs have an inefficient digestive system and produce copious amounts of waste. A tang of 8"- 10" will put a huge strain on any bio-filter and eventually maintaining phosphate and nitrite levels will get difficult to the detriment of the system.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an older post but dang, now I'm worried about my 7ftx4ftx2.5ft tank being too small for my elegans
I would argue that 7x4 is better than the usual 8x2 240 gallon. I wouldn't do a unicorn or vlamingii, but your Naso is reasonable for that tank.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular size 1 foot naso 240min, much better is a super tank 96 36 36..with $70 dollar water changes.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 30.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back