What SPS is this?

Wip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I bought this from a local guy to me a few months ago. I think he said he had it 5 or more years. Never could ID it.

It is Plating SPS of some kind. I have had some very experienced Reefers at my house but none could ID it for me. Its defiantly better looking in person as I dont have a great camera.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pocillipora damicornis

OP
OP
W

Wip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, the closest thing I came by was a cat's paw (stylo?) but its growth pattern is different not really branching but Plating.

Thanks for the help.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a Pocillopora. If I had to guess I'd say it's Pocillopora verrucosa. Although less common in the hobby than P. damicornis, it is occasionally seen.

OP
OP
W

Wip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone ever seen one grow into a plate like this one? All other Pocillopora corals I have seen were branching. One experienced reefer that came by my house thought it might be just a unique morf due to being tank raised....

Frick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to say Pocillopora damicornis for my first guess.
Pocillopora damicornis. Corals of the World - Photos, maps and information about corals and reefs

Pocillopora verrucosa for my second guess.
Pocillopora verrucosa. Corals of the World - Photos, maps and information about corals and reefs

It is growing thick and like a table probably because it was grown under very strong water flow. So you might want to make sure it get the same strong flow or you could see some receding in the center.

http://coral.aims.gov.au/factsheet.jsp?speciesCode=0310#[h=1][/h]

OP
OP
W

Wip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to say Pocillopora damicornis for my first guess.
Pocillopora damicornis. Corals of the World - Photos, maps and information about corals and reefs

Pocillopora verrucosa for my second guess.
Pocillopora verrucosa. Corals of the World - Photos, maps and information about corals and reefs

It is growing thick and like a table probably because it was grown under very strong water flow. So you might want to make sure it get the same strong flow or you could see some receding in the center.
Thanks for the advice frick. It is currently getting direct flow from my MP40 and seems really happy. I will definitely keep it there to insure it gets enough flow.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back