What the heck is this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JasonPG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JasonPG

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
291
Reaction score
3
Location
Delaware
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For several weeks I've noticed some sort of macro algae stalk growing on an astrea snail in my girlfriend's tank. Today, it blossomed into what could only be described as a central disk. It also appears to have some nearly invisible polyps that it might be feeding with. Is it a worm? An algae? I'm stumped!

algae1_zpsc9e20b33.jpg


algae2_zpsf27f8e23.jpg
 
I think your friend is right. Looks like you might want to get rid of it. From the diagram on wiki it looks like it drops cysts to spread. Not sure how fast it will spread but it may be tough to eradicate if it does end up spreading.
 
It's Purdy, but can be a pain in the U know what, the problem is how to get rid of it without multiplying. I assume you don't have any tangs in your tank.
 
Thats feaking weird might what to get rid of snail and that thing. Pretty cool though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new