What to put between stand and hardwood floor? Dri-Dek?

wabooth555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hardwood floors, and I'm about to set up a new tank. What should I put under my stand to protect the floor (if anything).
I've read about something called Dri-Dek, but I'm not sure if that is good for under a heavy tank.

Thanks
Wayne

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I I had it to do all over again I would have my stand about 1/4 inch off the floor. That way anything that spilled I may still get something under it to clean it up. The small furniture movers would work fine. Just have 6 points of contact would be my minimum. Of course I'd have to have something astatically appealing.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you aren't going to move the tank any time soon. Also assuming you aren't going to move anytime soon. You could put your stand down, flip it forward and put some type of sealant around the inside perimeter and then set the stand. Or you could run a neat head of colored silicone around the outside of the stand once it is in place.

Wabooth, love the avatar! Peep, chirp, and quack! My daughter loves that show....quack.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume your tank isn't filled yet?
Hard call to make as no matter what you put on there you have always discoloration after you remove your tank.
I used the a Yoga mat on my hard wood floor, any salt will not penetrate through but will stay on the mat.
Big spills are always bad as water will go under there and you have to deal with that till you remove your tank from that spot.

Academy - Gaiam Sol Power Grip Yoga Mat

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a shower pan liner inside my stand for spill. I'd bet it would also work well under a stand. It is grey 40 mil Pvc and you should be able to find it in the plumbing sections of Lowes/homedepot.

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some acrylic felt from the fabric store and glued it to the bottom of my stands. We're in the midst of getting new floors in. The first stand came in today and slid into place- no scratches.
IMG_20150104_172747728.jpg

Alabamareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that stuff absorbs water might not be such a good idea. For instance, let the skimmer overflow and get absorbed by the felt it will smell for days....

Last edited:

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best solution I have seen is a HVAC sheet metal pan just slightly larger than the stand, with a drain going outside. They are required for second story air conditioning or heat pump installation to avoid leaks.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my tank in the basement. Not worth the risk to our 130 year old pine floors. If we had newer flooring that could just simply be replaced I wouldn't care as much. The felt cloth idea is probably good, just realize that no matter how hard you try, you will spill water on your floors, fairly regularly. Have lots of towels nearby:)

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I had a 75 gallon in this spot for 7 years with nothing under the stand. I couldn't believe it when I took it down. I know I spilt 1000s of gallons of water during water changes over the years. Helen Keller could do water changes better then I do.

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I have lots of towels nearby! Also the inside of my stands have a 'ledge' so the sump sits down lower and that area is all sealed and siliconed for the inevitable in stand spill.

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a commercial rubberized bottom rug from home depot. It doesn't let water through. I cut it down to fit the length and width of my tank.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a commercial rubberized bottom rug from home depot. It doesn't let water through. I cut it down to fit the length and width of my tank.

Did this discolor the flooring at all?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually going to home depot tomorrow. I looked on the site but not sure exactly what I'm looking for. Can you provide a link?

foxfacelo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...my first time on this web site. I use a pond liner with wooden braces for the area under the tank (220g). It has already been worth the effort to install it!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back