What to upgrade next?

MaverickReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

So I have a 125 long LPS dominated mixed reef that I run on a pretty tight budget. I slowly add corals and upgrade equipment over time and it has been up and running for about a year and a half now. Everything is doing well in the tank, most of the corals are growing, albeit slowly in some cases. I'm trying to figure out what equipment I should focus on upgrading next, but I'm leaning towards lighting or flow.

I currently have a Nero 5 for circulation on one end behind rockwork and a sicce synchra 4.0 return pump that's split on each side of the tank. Looking to add a maxspect gyre 4k on the end opposite of the Nero 5.

For lighting I have 3 AI primes each centered above each 2 ft section of the tank, about 4-5 inches from the top of the water. I'm looking to supplement this with 3x of the new AI Blade LED strip lights, but not sure wether to go with the color pop or growth variety.

What upgrades did you all do first or what do you regret upgrading? Is it worth spending the extra money if my tank is looking good to me now?

PXL_20230115_165814415.NIGHT.jpg

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, tough question! Honestly, if it's running well and looking good don't do anything....this has been a hard lesson for me, lol...save the money and put it towards more livestock :)

OP
OP
MaverickReef

MaverickReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, tough question! Honestly, if it's running well and looking good don't do anything....this has been a hard lesson for me, lol...save the money and put it towards more livestock :)
Thanks for the input! I can always add some more corals! It's hard reading everywhere that you need all this equipment to be better, but I'm honestly liking my setup well as is right now

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your tank, I have an impression that it needs more flow. My approach would be to get another Nero, so they can run in sync.
I second upgrading lights too.Guy from Michigan has a point too.
Agreed. I'd go with another Nero 5 and avoid the Maxspect gyres like the plague (get the Red Sea ReefWaves if you want a reliable and easily maintainable gyre).

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on more flow. Add another Nero. Flow contributes immensely to the health of your tank.
Nothing wrong with your AI primes. You can always add more of them as you can for a nice light spread.
Other than those two things, my favorite upgrade was my roller filter. It really cut down on maintenance time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back