What type of algae is this?

Mike09391

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum but I have been checking other threads for months while I set up my reef tank. I have a 120 gallon tank that I started in October 2020 and ran with the lights off with two clowns inside for 2 months. I was told running the tank with the lights off for a while would help prevent any early tank algae outbreak. However, as soon as I turned the lights on this algae/clear moss slowly started growing on the rocks everywhere. I tested 0 nutrients 3 times a week before turning the lights on and I still test 0 now. I thought it could also be diatoms but I don't now where the silicates could be coming from as I am using RODI water good salt. I am out of ideas for what this could be please help.

It is hard to see because of how the glass of the tank refracts the light when taking photos but for the most part is is this stringy clear hair that is mostly growing on the top surfaces of the rocks (but also lower down and underneath the rocks). It also seems to favour high flow areas as the highest concentrations are next to my powerheads. It seems some patches are turning brown but for the most part they are clear.

IMG_5581.JPG IMG_5582.JPG IMG_5583.JPG IMG_5584.JPG IMG_5585.JPG

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very white rock. Stuff will grow. Established reef tanks have all kinds of stuff on the rocks

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back