What will make my tank cycle faster

CALI DIPPIN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will make my tank cycle faster? A few weeks instead of a month or teo? I have the heater the sand dead rock and a piece of live rock in there any other ways i can cycle faster?

Kano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using more liverock and/or a filter from an established tank. If you're going to rush into adding stuff this isn't a good hobby to get into though. Even once it's cycled you should add fish over weeks/months to let your bacteria level get established/higher. If you don't, you might end up with a lot of dead animals and issues. Slow and steady...

OP
OP
C

CALI DIPPIN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i know ive been into reefing for 3 years already just wanted to see if anyone knew easier ways to cycle thanks though! :)

fjpod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get more opinions on this than Carter has pills. I say add one small hardy fish, not as a sacrificial lamb, but as a buddy you fully intend to take care of. Watch your parameters carefully (ammonia, nitrites). Do up to 20 percent water changes daily if necessary and only if desperate use an ammonia reducing product. As always, feed sparingly. Only add more fish when your levels are normal. There are no shortcuts in this hobby and you should never move fast.

johntran216

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people throw in sps the first week of their setup and it works. Some others can't get it to work after months. Just depends on how u set it up. Like he said, liverocks will definitely make it cycle faster. I even use 50% of used water from another tank when i set it up, which I've heard doesn't do much, but it has never hurt me either. I've also used seachem's stability on 3 setups already, and was pretty happy with it. Had softies and fish in the first day i used it. I know it's not a good advice, but it worked for me.

always reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a bacteria additive, there's all kinds on the market. Need to introduce bacteria in some form so they can multiply. Can also add some sand or rock from an established system

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've cycled 2 tanks in 5 days, a 90 gal. and a 34 gal. I used live sand and some live rock in both, as well as Brightwell MicroBacter (i quadrupled the dosage) and used 3-4 uncooked shrimp from the grocery store. also helps speed up the process to removed gfo or carbon and turn off the skimmer. then just do some water changes! like someone else said, ask 100 people and you'll probably get 100 different answers, this is what worked for me.

wicked2na

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Tim's works great, get it off amazon and save $$$. Dr Tim's has never let me down. I once added 10 fish all at the same time with no problems. Established water, rock and sand from a fellow reefer always helps out. Good luck with the new setup.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good things take time, only bad things happen quickly in this hobby. It does not pay to be impatient. A slower natural cycle will give you a more robust bacteria level with greater diversity so your system will be stronger in the long run. Leave all teh magic potions on the shelf where they belong and ride it out. I guarantee you it will be worth the wait!

Mike2112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with that for live rock. Use live rock and sand, but you do not need to break the bank to make all of your rock live. Dr. Timothy A. Havonec (Dr. Tim in Dr. Tim's One and Only) has his PhD in Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology from UC Santa Barbara. The man knows his field. You can read about him at About | DrTim's Aquatics . Yes, patience is the best course, but if he can provide use of his education and research in this feild to give us good products, it would be like saying a protein skimmer and sump is the better filter system than the venerable undergravel filter. New means replace the old school systems.

always reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with that for live rock. Use live rock and sand, but you do not need to break the bank to make all of your rock live. Dr. Timothy A. Havonec (Dr. Tim in Dr. Tim's One and Only) has his PhD in Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology from UC Santa Barbara. The man knows his field. You can read about him at About | DrTim's Aquatics . Yes, patience is the best course, but if he can provide use of his education and research in this feild to give us good products, it would be like saying a protein skimmer and sump is the better filter system than the venerable undergravel filter. New means replace the old school systems.

+1 Add bacteria

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out marcorocks......they have a combo ammonia and bacteria dosing system that you can use......slower is better, but using fish to cycle your tank is not a good husbandry approach IMO. Another approach is using un-cured rock......vivid has a video on it on their website.....

Cheers,
Darren

OP
OP
C

CALI DIPPIN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using cured dead rock and sand thats not alive threw in a small live rock to spread bacteria quicker

fredg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dare I say it??? Dr. Tims, I'm using it right now and a few of out reef club members have as well. It works well and there tanks are gorgeous and have been running for awhile now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back