What would you do with it?

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 5 gallon Marineland Portrait AIO sitting in my kitchen Currently running with all stock specs (no heater).

I'm alright with my aquascape, but not the livestock (guppies and a few snails, shrimp).

Would you find new livestock? Leave it? Convert to salt or brackish? Turn it into something else totally?

IMG_20200722_185005.jpg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like a small tank on my kitchen counter with some rock flower nems and sexy shrimp and porcelain crabs. You may have to get a heater and different light though.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides burying the rooted plant I would leave it. I think it's totally cool just the way it is.

That plant actually is rooted, but the shadows on the picture make it seem like it's floating! I've had that plant for years in several different tanks, and for some reason it always throws roots about 3/4 of the way up.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like a small tank on my kitchen counter with some rock flower nems and sexy shrimp and porcelain crabs. You may have to get a heater and different light though.

I've thought of something like that too, especially with the sexy shrimp. I've got rfa's and porcelain crabs in my reef, but the sexy shrimp are too small and would get eaten in the main reef.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some pretty cool little fish, celestial pearl danios. I think they would look great in there. really like the coffefolia, has it bloomed yet?

Edit: oooo, or bumblebee gobys and cherry shrimp...... if you don’t salt it up and get the rfa’s

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some pretty cool little fish, celestial pearl danios. I think they would look great in there. really like the coffefolia, has it bloomed yet?

Edit: oooo, or bumblebee gobys and cherry shrimp...... if you don’t salt it up and get the rfa’s

Ok now those are all some very cool ideas, and not animals that I see very often.

And thank you for naming that type of plant btw! I knew it was an Anubis of some kind, but not exactly which variety.

It bloomed once in my old 55 gallon planted system, but not in the 5 gallon yet. I think it's still adjusting to the smaller system.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now those are all some very cool ideas, and not animals that I see very often.

And thank you for naming that type of plant btw! I knew it was an Anubis of some kind, but not exactly which variety.

It bloomed once in my old 55 gallon planted system, but not in the 5 gallon yet. I think it's still adjusting to the smaller system.
:D awesome! Glad to be of some assistance! My wife loved cherry shrimp and had a bunch in a 10 gallon, they breed like crazy if you take good care of them. We were going to get her some red crystal shrimp too but by then she lost interest and we sold the tank, shrimp and all. You will have to post updates here when you get your mind made up.(And pictures!)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
8 neon tetra

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that and want it with a betta....

Probably a good thing my last freshwater adventure was when I was five and now I’m on the salty side lol.

gorgeous little set up though! Makes me want to try a planted tank. But I don’t even have my DT up. I should probably wait. Also my lady would probably murder me if I tried to go for yet another tank when I haven’t even talked her into a frag tank in addition to my DT, display fuge, and fish QT lol

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 5 gallon Marineland Portrait AIO sitting in my kitchen Currently running with all stock specs (no heater).

I'm alright with my aquascape, but not the livestock (guppies and a few snails, shrimp).

Would you find new livestock? Leave it? Convert to salt or brackish? Turn it into something else totally?

IMG_20200722_185005.jpg
Leave it make the wood come above the tank and put some air plants wedged in the wood.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it make the wood come above the tank and put some air plants wedged in the wood.

Absolutely love the idea, I've seen similar things online in those cool aquascaping competitions, and it looks so cool! Sadly, I only have a few inches of space over the tank and can't do that in this space. ☹️

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that and want it with a betta....

Probably a good thing my last freshwater adventure was when I was five and now I’m on the salty side lol.

gorgeous little set up though! Makes me want to try a planted tank. But I don’t even have my DT up. I should probably wait. Also my lady would probably murder me if I tried to go for yet another tank when I haven’t even talked her into a frag tank in addition to my DT, display fuge, and fish QT lol

Planted tanks are fun, and sort of easy compared to coral, especially with plants like Anubis varieties. My issue has always been boredom with freshwater livestock (thus the reason for this thread).

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 neon tetra

That was my thought at first too, I love neons, but I have horrible, horrible luck with them. There's a single stray neon in there now, resulting from several attempts to keep them. I've had more luck with expensive, sensitive corals than a $2 freshwater fish!

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say keep it a freshwater planted tank! It is really nice with the live plant and drift wood. I just converted my IM 10 AIO from a harlequin and a few corals to a planter freshwater. It was to much work and the topping off daily became a hassle. I am planning to add glow fish and assorted tetras. The tank sits next to my mix reef and the lights will make the glow fish pop.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back