What's a 'good' algae eater for my reef?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its funny until he drags a piece of rock across your glass and scratches it like they did mine, thats why I ultimately removed them. just make sure you have enough room between rock and glass to fit an urchin carrying more rock.
they keep moving and squeeze into places, absolute bulls! Seriously consider your situation too, if you superglue frags like me good luck they made me re glue everything multiple times...I have 2 pincushions you can have if you want them anyone for sure local can
Well, I have a low iron glass tank so he won't work.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pin cushion urchin
Foxface rabbit fish, Tomini tang (or other bristletooth tang). They’re both algae eating machines.
Foxface rabbit fish, Tomini tang (or other bristletooth tang). They’re both algae eating machines.
I have both Foxface rabbit and Tomini tang in my 109 gallon they don't even look at the algea in the tank LOL They do eat nori on the clip like savages tho

Maybe I just got super unlucky with my fish but ive never seen them eat algea on a rock

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pin cushion urchin

I have both Foxface rabbit and Tomini tang in my 109 gallon they don't even look at the algea in the tank LOL They do eat nori on the clip like savages tho

Maybe I just got super unlucky with my fish but ive never seen them eat algea on a rock
Haha, maybe they’re lazy. Hide the Nori for a day maybe? :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pin cushion urchin

What algae is it?

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Scopas tang less than 3 inches in a 100g tank, and he devoured all the brown hair algae regardless of red and green nori he was getting every day

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the tomini or any in the bristletooth family. Stays small and is non stop for me on the algae. I have a larger tank this more tangs, but the tomini prob best algae eater in the fish side.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What algae is it?
Well I haven't had it under a microscope but it sure looks like hair algea to me . With that being said I have had the tank for 2 years and they just do not pick at the rocks ever . They have no interest in anything other then what I put in the tank haha . I am sure I just got super unlucky everyone else says rabbitfish and tangs eat algea and keep rocks clean

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, maybe they’re lazy. Hide the Nori for a day maybe? :)
I took them off Nori for 2 weeks ........ They outlasted me and I put the nori back in the tank because they don't even look at the rocks.

I think I have upscale fish that don't eat trash algea haha only top shelf nori from the store

Cprivi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I think I need a herbivore to my reef, I'm in a never ending battle of scrubbing rocks and dosing phosphates to keep them in a desired range. I have a 50gl AIO, so I can't have any Tangs. I'm considering a Black Sailfin Blenny, and was wondering what other options I should be considering.

Currently, there is a Pink Streaked Wrasse, a Royal Gramma, a Yellow Wrasse, and a Fairy Wrasse in the tank.
My tank is about 3 years old and I still have a couple rocks that grow GHA like crazy. I’ve pulled it, scrubbed the rocks, tried GFO, Lawnmower Blenny, snails, crabs and a Bristletooth Tang. The Tang probably worked the best but he was soon too big for my 60 so I had to bring him back to the LFS. 2 LMBs died of starvation despite plenty of GHA and Nori always available. I’ve read that GHA is not appealing after a certain stage of growth that I’ve yet to figure out. Thinking about getting a Court Jester Goby and/or maybe a Lettuce Nudibranch next. I’ve read that Sea Hares and Cucumbers work too but can become toxic. Urchins work too but they can be destructive. The Nudibranch is neither toxic or destructive so I’m leaning that way.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I think I need a herbivore to my reef, I'm in a never ending battle of scrubbing rocks and dosing phosphates to keep them in a desired range. I have a 50gl AIO, so I can't have any Tangs. I'm considering a Black Sailfin Blenny, and was wondering what other options I should be considering.

Currently, there is a Pink Streaked Wrasse, a Royal Gramma, a Yellow Wrasse, and a Fairy Wrasse in the tank.
current stocking of CUC? snails are usually better

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First. Why are you dosing phosphate with an algae problem? Phosphates feed algae.

second. Hands down the best creature to quickly eliminate every speck of algae in your tank is a sea hare. They are incredibly cool creatures. Within 2 weeks you will have zero algae and they are reef safe.

you will have to feed him nori or pass him to someone else when you are done with him.

I used to “rent him” from my LFS. I’d buy him for $20 and sell him back for $10 when I was done.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First. Why are you dosing phosphate with an algae problem? Phosphates feed algae.

second. Hands down the best creature to quickly eliminate every speck of algae in your tank is a sea hare. They are incredibly cool creatures. Within 2 weeks you will have zero algae and they are reef safe.

you will have to feed him nori or pass him to someone else when you are done with him.

I used to “rent him” from my LFS. I’d buy him for $20 and sell him back for $10 when I was done.
First. I dose n03 & p04 with algae in the tank........

Second. every tank situation is different.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know a lot of people recommended the lawnmower blenny to me. Just replied to keep getting notifications, as I am interested in this

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as fish go, the best algivore by far is the Molly Miller blenny (Scartella cristata). Used them in a coral flat at a hatchery I worked at, they're amazing. Insatiable too haha.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back