What's a good first clam?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kodiak
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kodiak

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2012
Messages
144
Reaction score
82
Location
Northern California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a clam but would like to,can anyone tell me what is a good "first clam" and how hard are they to keep?

How big and how old is your aquarium?

Not sure who this question is for, but I have been looking into getting my first clam. Mine is 65 gallons and is a little over a year old. Any suggestions?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
6 bulb ATI. My tank is mostly SPS and Z&P's. Would there be any risk to my existing corals if I add a clam?

I wouldn't think so, but i believe clams soak up a lot of calcium so I'd probably monitor water quality after adding a specimen.

I believe derasa's are considered "easier" b/c of the lower light requirements...not sure about hardiness.
 
Nope, they won't hurt your other corals at all.

You should be able to keep any type clam that you want. Just remember that Derasa, and Squamosa get big and Crocea's and Maxima's need more light so put them up on the rocks.
 
Are there any limitations on clam sizes for newbies? I have been told that smaller clams can be more difficult to keep due to more demanding feeding requirements. Not sure though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new