What's next for you in reefing and does anything change?

Does your excitement level change for the hobby after the holidays?

• More Excited

Votes: 93 25.9%
  • Same

Votes: 244 68.0%
  • Less Excited

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well Christmas is over and we're gearing up for the New Year! I was thinking about what state of mind you might be in when it comes to your reefing hobby this time of year. Does it stay the same, like nothing has changed, or do have a switch in your thinking, if you will, and really dig deeper into reefing? Maybe you're getting more excited? We'll have a New Year's Reefing Resolution topic coming in a few days but today just let me know how you're feeling and has anything changed.

What's next for you in reefing for this time of year? Does anything change and if so what?

image.gif

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That excited huh?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
After 32 years of reefing, Xmas is Xmas and the spirit of Xmas. Nothing changes as far as tank for me. After xmas comes the new year which means, new trade shows, frag swaps, tax refunds = possible new equipment.
As for equipment, I always wanted to connect a Calcium Reactor for which I now have, I have algae scrubber (which I may go larger) and CO2 scrubber which again ive always wanted and see my parameters are now at optimum and added coral color and growth since the addition of CA reactor.
So back to excited. . . . . . I have most everything in place. Nothing else new was planned other than Maybe a trident but since CA reactor, may not need it. Corals and fish however WILL be added

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Christmas is over and we're gearing up for the New Year! I was thinking about what state of mind you might be in when it comes to your reefing hobby this time of year. Does it stay the same, like nothing has changed, or do have a switch in your thinking, if you will, and really dig deeper into reefing? Maybe you're getting more excited? We'll have a New Year's Reefing Resolution topic coming in a few days but today just let me know how you're feeling and has anything changed.

What's next for you in reefing for this time of year? Does anything change and if so what?

image.gif

I'm glad you asked Mr. @revhtree...hahaha
from 1983-1989 then 10/2017-present. We've kept after the elusive carnation coral and flower tree corals. Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya sp. To try raising them and hopefully they thrive, still at it, making progress and in 2 to 5 years we will know. God willing if we are successful here's our goals.

If God willing, in 2-3 yrs, if successful with these softies, we're going crowd funding, one project at a time, we want to provide a 50 gallon tank, with gyre's, feeding device, computer system to create proper flow, stand, and also 24 dendronephthya and scleronephthya with other nps corals, donate to one aquarium institution, after all expenses to rent truck,get all accessories together and any other expenses, funds left ,donate to them,to the same institution, then do it again, different Institution, and so on, eventually full on aquaculture, sell them to public, down the line.

This is the way it's done, so EVERYONE can enjoy first,,then..... God willing.

Last edited:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that holidays are over, time to spend more time on tanks fine tuning, yearly maintenance (while the weather is "non- cooperative") and weeding out Items that need to be re-homed. Also new frag tank enroute - another project. Already planning list for next "Black Friday".

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This year after the holiday craziness is behind me I am building a fish room in the basement and plumbing my tank down there. It will be complete with mixing station, frag tank, QT and a DIY sump. When I do, I will have the extra sump I am using now and convert my 110 gallon freshwater into a FOWLR cause I want to keep fish that aren't reef friendly. That and I think i'm over freshwater. I am very excited and hope to have this done by Christmas of next year.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cash gifts for Christmas. Michigan Coral Expo January 19.
The grand daddy of all the swaps in Michigan. The largest reef-hobby event in Michigan and one of the largest single-day events in the country.
:cool:

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a boost this holiday season, but really that comes and goes with life anyway. But the last week, my tank has seemed that much nicer and I've found myself staring it more just to enjoy than coming up with a honey-do list. Could be the new pumps I got and just loving the flow (thanks Black Friday), could be all the guests stopping by and admiring it, or just could be that I'm off work and worry for a couple of weeks and I can appreciate the good things.

MT_is_a_Pisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really changes for me in the hobby during the holidays. This time of year focus on spending time with family. But my last two tanks were started the week of Xmas - New Year.

That AIO is wanting to get wet.

Borg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first on my list is to organize my sock drawer. My next move is start building up my livestock .

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0E5681EE-67A3-45DF-943E-E0A1F1BE4598.jpeg

more excited, i rush to the last house santa visits and kidnap him. When agrees to bring next years list i let him go.
google win, search santa in a tank and find. But..

we only exchange small presents at Christmas. Sometimes ill use my end of year bonus on a tank gift. But usually not. Holidays dont really effect my tank outlook much.

Last edited:

Chukthunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to migrate a small tank to a plumbed one, look into dosing pumps. Very slow progress for my tanks.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back