What's on my Torch?

NIWID

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first torch I've ever owned. Bought a single head frag which has a dark discoloration and a white growth coming off one side. Any idea what the discoloration is? Could the white growth be the start of a new head?

20200528_171030.jpg

OP
OP
N

NIWID

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Sparky. Upon closer inspection I can see something retreat into the tube when I poke the end. I think you are right about it being a vermetid snail. Should I rip it off with pliers or try plugging its tube with glue? Could the dark spots also be from a vermetid snail?

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right about it being a vermetid snail. Should I rip it off with pliers or try plugging its tube with glue? Could the dark spots also be from a vermetid snail?

I prefer the crush the base with a pair of longnose pliers approach for vermetids . Just make sure you don't only break off the tube; when you get close,the snail will likely retreat into the bulb at the base.

Vermetid snails are interesting creatures, but we don't want them in our tanks. They start out as regular snails that can move around, but then they find a spot and plant themselves there and start growing that tube. Kill quickly, before it reproduces if it hasn't already.

Sparkymarc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the crush the base with a pair of longnose pliers approach for vermetids . Just make sure you don't only break off the tube; when you get close,the snail will likely retreat into the bulb at the base.

Vermetid snails are interesting creatures, but we don't want them in our tanks. They start out as regular snails that can move around, but then they find a spot and plant themselves there and start growing that tube. Kill quickly, before it reproduces if it hasn't already.
Some people use super glue but your method is just as effective. Your right, they do reproduce quickly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back