What's the best Salinity checker?

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need an accurate salinity checker. Tired of refractors that seem to need constant adjusting. Opinions welcomed.

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Milwaukee MA887 has always been accurate and convenient for me.

Milwaukee.png

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Milwaukee MA887 has always been accurate and convenient for me.

Milwaukee.png

^ This right here. Mine's been flawless since I got it and it's so much more convenient than most other options. I check the calibration every once in a while, but it's been right every time I've checked.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been searching for this too. Milwaukee are prone to read high by 0.002 I see from most people. Seems like refractometers are best bet with contant calibrating.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've grown to dislike measuring salinity with refractive index. Obviously it works because almost everyone uses refractometers, but there are too many variables that could skew the results for my taste.

I got a conductivity meter (Pinpoint Salinity Monitor) and couldn't be happier. I haven't had to touch the calibration since I purchased it about 3 years ago.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sybon Refractometer is great for me! It doesn‘t require to recalibrate for months!

chvvkumar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hanna meter. I used hydrometers and refractometers and still have them as a backup but the Hanna is unbeatab le in terms of convenience.

Dip in, check salinity and done. With the other two types of meters I've had to fiddle with them constantly to make sure there are no micro bubbles (hydrometer) and calibration (refractometer).

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hanna meter. I used hydrometers and refractometers and still have them as a backup but the Hanna is unbeatab le in terms of convenience.

Dip in, check salinity and done. With the other two types of meters I've had to fiddle with them constantly to make sure there are no micro bubbles (hydrometer) and calibration (refractometer).

At only 60$ its cheap relatively, how does it compare with your refactometers? Do you consider it accurate? I know the Milwaukee people compensate for.

chvvkumar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At only 60$ its cheap relatively, how does it compare with your refactometers? Do you consider it accurate? I know the Milwaukee people compensate for.

The thing is, the Hanna is consistent. While I can't comment on accuracy since I only have the three I mentioned with me and all three give me different readings, the Hanna is precise but I am not sure of accuracy.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap! 400 bucks?!?
It’s hard to find a refractometer that takes accuracy to a 4th decimal point. Some might feel like there’s a big enough difference between 1.0269 and 1.0260. Aim small miss small.

But that said, I also think the pinpoint salinity probe is awesome. It worked really well for me. And when the switch got finicky, the company replaced the entire device for me without issues.

I think it’s good to have two different methods to check salinity. Conductivity and refractometer, just to double check each other. If you have redundancy, you don’t need to get the most expensive model (kind of like dual return pumps).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back