What's the coolest thing you've seen while snorkeling?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had a blast in Hawaii these past couple of weeks. Got to snorkel a few times, and some of my favorite things I saw were humuhumu triggers, achilles tangs, and parrotfish. Saw lots of butterflyfish and other sorts of tangs as well.

What are some of your favorite things you've seen while snorkeling?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I went to Hawaii I saw so many cool things snorkeling I saw turtles Toby puffers and this really fat starfish! And much more obviously.
Yep! I saw a couple of toby puffers and a spotted boxfish too! So many cool things to see while snorkeling!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bunch of squid keeping pace with me about 5' away. Just hanging out, holding formation. When I stretched out, I noticed that they all moved their mantles pointing up. I tucked in and they went back to horizontal. Did this a few times with them, like a dance, then off to look at other things. This was before I knew anything about reefs. Then again, this was a very long time ago, so maybe I dreamed it up...

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Jamaica I saw an entire wall.......
8' x10'....... on a small coral pinnicle covered with multi color Ricordia. In Costa Rica I did a dive on a rock pile the size of a single family home absolutely covered with orange tubastrea coral. Amazing

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids creating a memory that will last a lifetime

Attachments

• IMG_7964.jpg
    IMG_7964.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 67

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to live on Maui and went snorkeling and diving quite often. Loved all the fish of course but the coolest things I saw were turtles and various types of sharks.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Snorkeling, Roatan, Bonaire all over the eastern and Western Caribbean, I've seen it all...but probably the coolest was Snorkeling over literally hundreds of yards of Staghorn Colonies along with swimming with sea turtles at 1000 steps beach in Bonaire.

Also...was very cool to hear and see Parrott Fish Crunching and knawing on the reef at Washington Slagbaii National Park in Bonaire in one of the the Snorkeling spots there.

Of course swimming the seawall there also and Snorkeling with a 12ft Tarpon was awesome also.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SING0380.JPG

And Ducky, as he was known by everyone was super cool...apparently everyone feeds him, and he is a super cool trunk fish that just loves everyone as soon as you get in the water at one of the spots along Washington Slagbaii National Park.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SING0380.JPG

And Ducky, as he was known by everyone was super cool...apparently everyone feeds him, and he is a super cool trunk fish that just loves everyone as soon as you get in the water at one of the spots along Washington Slagbaii National Park.
Bonaire is on the list now!

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encountered so much cool stuff in Moorea. The very first thing I saw getting into the water, literally as I first put my face in the water, was a big spotted ray directly below me.

But the one thing I could never forget, mainly because I was never able to ID them, was a huge school of little electric blue tetra-like fish that kept close to the surface. They are so beautiful, and I can't believe I've never seen them in the industry. (Anyone have an idea what they might have been?)

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonaire is on the list now!
Here's a thread I made a while back, excuse the misspell of the title...lol..

But yes Bonaire is completely amazing...the most amount of fish, corals, etc I've ever seen. The whole island is a marine sanctuary.

Roatan is great also, as it was my 1st love, being the world's 2nd largest barrier reef, but they let cruise ships and tourists do too much damage over the years...Still a great spot though...but Bonaire recently said only 1 cruise ship a day, and they are serious about protection there.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encountered so much cool stuff in Moorea. The very first thing I saw getting into the water, literally as I first put my face in the water, was a big spotted ray directly below me.

But the one thing I could never forget, mainly because I was never able to ID them, was a huge school of little electric blue tetra-like fish that kept close to the surface. They are so beautiful, and I can't believe I've never seen them in the industry. (Anyone have an idea what they might have been?)
Most likely Blue Damsel fish, as they are very common there, and totally not afraid of humans.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back