What's the coolest thing you've seen while snorkeling?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a blast in Hawaii these past couple of weeks. Got to snorkel a few times, and some of my favorite things I saw were humuhumu triggers, achilles tangs, and parrotfish. Saw lots of butterflyfish and other sorts of tangs as well.

What are some of your favorite things you've seen while snorkeling?
A LONG time ago, my son and I were snorkeling in Guam. In very shallow water, the Humuhmus were nesting. Joey told me that the fish were biting him. Pretty soon, I was getting it too. When we got out, we both had about a dozen little bloody spots where they had tagged us. Maybe not the best experience, but definitely memorable.

Probably the best snorkeling experience I can remember is when my wife and I were snorkeling (again in Guam). There was a HUGE wrasse that approached us. Must have been 20 pounds. No idea what kind, but definitely a wrasse. As the wrasse and I approached each other, I heard a horrible splashing, and turned to see Lynna heading toward the beach at about 20 knots. Laughed so hard I nearly drowned!

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to swim with sea turtles of one of the beaches from Culebra. A small island next to Puerto Rico.
It was literally right next to me lol
IMG_0407.JPG
IMG_0410.JPG

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Turks & Caicos, there are places where you can just walk off the beach to a reef. Lots of parrotfish and tangs. You don't even need a snorkel, I went out a couple of times with just a mask.
Pshhhhhh...go to Roatan, Honduras, go to west bay Beach...not even knee deep, Sargent Majors ankle bite you along with small jacks...go chest deep and look underwater, and see coral reefs, blue spiny lobsters, angels, tangs, etc...as far as the eye can see...if you are a diver, or adventurous Snorkeler, swim out past the barrier and look down...it is after all the world's 2nd largest barrier reef, behind Australia.

Last edited:

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just swimmers goggles for me. Smith's Brocadere was great in Grand Cayman. Walk off the beach into the water, have a swim, see lots of fish and coral.
Yall ever been to Cemetery Beach? The absolute best Snorkeling spot in Grand Cayman...private beach with lots of shade, yes, you actually walk through and around a Cemetery, but it's the best.

Pro tip ...go to grocery store just past, buy cat/dog food, toss in water, Snorkel and profit!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yall ever been to Cemetery Beach? The absolute best Snorkeling spot in Grand Cayman...private beach with lots of shade, yes, you actually walk through and around a Cemetery, but it's the best.

Pro tip ...go to grocery store just past, buy cat/dog food, toss in water, Snorkel and profit!
Yes, you wrote that in my Cayman posts! I did do that. Went out a few times with and without the cat food. Definitely fun to start a feeding frenzy. Also fun just to see what's happening on the reef during a swim.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you wrote that in my Cayman posts! I did do that. Went out a few times with and without the cat food. Definitely fun to start a feeding frenzy. Also fun just to see what's happening on the reef during a swim.
And it's also an excellent beach with tons of shade to chill at after...there used to be an awesome restaurant close there....Breezes by the Bay,
....best conch fritters. Garlic aolii fries, fresh fish and food etc,,,I'm afraid they didn't survive Covid and all I have is this souvenir glass to show for it!
..went many times over the years!!
20230712_025155.jpg

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, these photos and stories of snorkeling sure makes me jealous. Never been, best I've seen snorkeling is the bottom of a pool drain! :anxious-face-with-sweat:

Awesome photos!

Rocktron1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like some great snorkelling, so here is my bragging rights. Every year for the last 10 yrs I have been taking my family to Exmouth and coral bay on the Ningaloo reef in western Australia. It's a fringing reef , not a barrier. Coral starts in some parts 2m from the shore

Nearly every dive we get to swim with amazing creatures and coral.

Hers my top 5 I've swam with
1) 9m whale shark in 5m deep water
2) manta rays
3) 2 leopard sharks swimming together
4) swimming with a 3m tiger shark
5) the numerous turtles we get to swim with nearly every dive up there. They are everywhere

Ningaloo reef truly is paradise and watching my kids learn to snorkel up there is amazing experience, seeing their excitement. Then I have to tell them we have to go home haha

Also experienced something amazing last year, and terrible at same time. The yearly coral spawn in coral bay. But a low pressure system kept the spawn trapped in the bay, and created a mass kill event by depleting the oxygen in the water. Killed approximately 150000 fish, all the eels, and of course all the coral in a 1km square radius. All the big fish and turtles survived as they just swam around the corner, but anything that stays in the same reef as it's home sadly perished.
1yr later this April and seeing all the marine life back there thriving was awesome. The coral still dead but there's signs of life and a rebuild

Truly remarkable part of the world and I am lucky I get to visit every year

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fortunate to snorkel and dive in some pretty fantastic places. Most recently (March) I was snorkeling in Thailand with my son (Phi Phi Island) and we got to see quite a few large black tip reef sharks in about 6' of water. They always keep their distance so it's fun to be able to see them befor they disappear. We both loved it. Another highlight was the huge porcupine puffers (~2' long) with their huge eyes. So cute, but very shy.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1121.jpeg

Spinner dolphins- Big Island, Hawaii
They played with me, I was the only human in the water in remote bay.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to swim with sea turtles of one of the beaches from Culebra. A small island next to Puerto Rico.
It was literally right next to me lol
IMG_0407.JPG
IMG_0410.JPG
Nice! I've been to Vieques a few times and snorkled there. At first we thought there were no fish but then as we stopped moving, a bunch of fish started coming out. Pics are all on an old camera somewhere

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On our 8 island cruise of the Caribbean, the best stop was Roatan, Honduras. The snorkeling was great.

Also, had a great time scuba diving in Cancun.

Unfortunately, I lost my Gopro (and the footage inside) in my divorce.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In costa maya it was a forrest of see fans swaying in the current. Sooo peaceful.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back