What's the coolest thing you've seen while snorkeling?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unsure about the coolest but my 10 year old self saw a barracuda years ago and that has forever scarred me lol! I swam right back to the boat and sat on the edge looking down ready to jump back up at any moment I’ll never forget the way it looked at me with its giant eyes and massively scary teeth. The beginning of finding Nemo is real and even scarier in person guys!:eek::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Ironically I’m now dive certified but those things still scare the well you know out of me that and large sharks.

Last edited:

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure about the coolest but my 10 year old self saw a barracuda years ago and that has forever scarred me lol! I swam right back to the boat and sat on the edge looking down ready to jump back up at any moment I’ll never forget the way it looked at me with its giant eyes and massively scary teeth. The beginning of finding Nemo is real and even scarier in person guys!:eek::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Ironically I’m now dive certified but those things still scare the well you know out of me that and large sharks.
Meh, been by and around many barracuda, they don't bother you, if you dont bother them. In Roatan at Little French Key, a pretty large one lives under the dive dock there, and he barely moves at all...as long as you respect him and don't bother him, hes cool...swam with plenty in Belize also...they practically don't even know you are there.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Meh, been by and around many barracuda, they don't bother you, if you dont bother them. In Roatan at Little French Key, a pretty large one lives under the dive dock there, and he barely moves at all...as long as you respect him and don't bother him, hes cool...swam with plenty in Belize also...they practically don't even know you are there.
I know all they are all looks no bite lol! I still don’t like them haha.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are a few pics from snorkeling. My phone battery died unfortunately, so I don't have pics of my favorite stuff.

20230706_131839.jpg 20230704_113937.jpg 20230704_113224.jpg Screenshot_20230704_112659_Camera.jpg Screenshot_20230711_075904_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230711_075418_Gallery.jpg

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a coral grouper and a moray hunting together in northern Sulawesi. I spent over an hour watching the pair cruising through forests of acropora that was growing on sharp fingers of lava rock. The moray would dive into the coral heads looking for fish whilst the grouper picked off any that darted out of the rocks. Such amazing behaviour to witness, with a stunning backdrop.

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controversial take, but snorkeling is much better than scuba diving. Especially in shallow water.
They both have their merits. I love the freedom of movement you get whilst diving, but the colour profile whilst snorkelling in shallow waters is just incomparable.

Shallow dives (5m max) are my absolute favourite.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both have their merits. I love the freedom of movement you get whilst diving, but the colour profile whilst snorkelling in shallow waters is just incomparable.

Shallow dives (5m max) are my absolute favourite.

In Turks & Caicos, there are places where you can just walk off the beach to a reef. Lots of parrotfish and tangs. You don't even need a snorkel, I went out a couple of times with just a mask.

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snorkeling along Rt1 in marathon Fl. Probably 20 years ago. Wife was next to me, kids were in front of us. Suddenly a dark shadow was coming from below and behind us. Scared the crap out of us, thankfully it was just a manatee

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a hair tie in Jamaica in the sand from the surface of the water.
It was so clear and had to try and retrieve it. Thinking it was in 10 feet of water, I dove to get it. I thought my head was going to explode the closer I got to it. It must have been 40 feet down at least. No, I didn't pick it up. To far down. I'm still amazed how clear the water was. I'm from Connecticut, you'd be lucky to see your hand in front of your face here.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a hair tie in Jamaica in the sand from the surface of the water.
It was so clear and had to try and retrieve it. Thinking it was in 10 feet of water, I dove to get it. I thought my head was going to explode the closer I got to it. It must have been 40 feet down at least. No, I didn't pick it up. To far down. I'm still amazed how clear the water was. I'm from Connecticut, you'd be lucky to see your hand in front of your face here.
When diving down, don't forget to equalize your ears.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Turks & Caicos, there are places where you can just walk off the beach to a reef. Lots of parrotfish and tangs. You don't even need a snorkel, I went out a couple of times with just a mask.
Just swimmers goggles for me. Smith's Brocadere was great in Grand Cayman. Walk off the beach into the water, have a swim, see lots of fish and coral.

Shevlin77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to snorkel the great barrier reef. too many things to list…Acros, montis and massive anemones with clarki clowns hosted with them. giant humphead parrotfish. list goes on…

but the best was seeing 50+ year old Maximus clams that were 2-3ft wide. Our guide said they weigh like 100-200lbs. just massive and beautiful. sitting in 30ft of water off the shallow parts of the reef

Last edited:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to snorkel the great barrier reef. too many things to list…Acros, montis and massive anemones with clarki clowns hosted with them. giant humphead parrotfish. list goes on…

but the best was seeing 50+ year old Maximus clams that were 2-3ft wide. Our guide said they weigh like 100-200lbs. just massive and beautiful. sitting in 30ft of water off the shallow parts of the reef
Way cool!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back