• Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 3.4%

• Total voters

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my first coral was a type of kenya tree. (was a looong time ago :) ) It grew HUGE and FAST, then started dropping babies everywhere. I soon regretted that choice. 2nd was an 8" wall hammer for like $60 I think, beautiful piece. It was super healthy for months then went down hill. Had some Zoanthids for a while too but they started to grow everywhere after a while. I stick to LPS & SPS these days.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to BUY any corals. However my first coral is a neon green toadstool and it was a freebie from ipsf, than they sent me a couple of goni frags as freebies for another order.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave it back to the LFS that sold it to me, It's likely they sold it to someone else. I wish I had pictures, the only pic I have from those days was my quarantine tank. It didn't dawn on me to take pictures of my tank when I was that young.
Wow! At least it went back to a place you know could look after it and hopefully whomever bought it was able to keep it alive. Let's face it, taking pics is so much easier now with our cellphones. It's hard to believe that just 20 yrs ago most phones were just phones and the ones that took pics were kind of crappy. Even digital cameras weren't so great! It's also so hard to visualize getting full colonies of corals back then. Nowadays you're lucky if you get a frag the size of your thumbnail from a LFS! :)

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first coral or the first coral that survived? lol

For my first corals I ordered online. They were an ORA long polyp toadstool and a kenya tree. They were damaged in shipping and melted in the following days. Dreams crushed and I was sure it was something I did. Except...weeks? months? later, the kenya tree actually came back from a seemingly bare rock.

Does that put me into the invasive category?

I still put a frag of it in my new tank, that guy gets credit for tenacity and wins sentimental points. FIRST CORAL! WOOT!

First actually successful corals (not accidentally successful) came from my LFS. A kenya tree (because we thought the other one died) and a pulsing xenia. I still have both of those corals as well.

I should have checked invasive, shouldn't I?

kt.jpg
xenia.jpg

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most plane-jane yellowish-fleshy-pink toadstool was the size of my thumb, grew it alone in a tank for about 9 months and it got to the size of a dinnerplate.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we're taking a trip down memory lane here is a picture of my first skimmer. It had to be one of the first models that Reef Octopus made.
post-80644-0-16658500-1390796406.jpg

This isn't my picture but I could take a picture of mine since it's in my garage still. I actually was using it on my current tank until about 2 years ago.
Gosh. My first skimmer was diy from pvc pipe an air stone and a triangle piece of glass. You'll never know how proud I was of the first drop of brown goo!! Lol.

sweat90lx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this July 2012

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20211203-132154_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20211203-132154_Chrome.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 31

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not sure what it’s called but this one is the first we bought that our clowns have claimed. Started out maybe 1” or so tall with 2 little tiny arms and is now this giant. Have had it almost a year now. Our first coral was a free single green fuzzy metallic mushroom head which is now out of control and almost upto 20 heads

9436C9EA-4B20-4D21-9886-381340E27C82.png
FA9EEF6E-BE6E-4BA8-A875-27A8E130CC6D.jpeg
Green sinularia? One of my 1st also! :)

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my first coral in 1988 and it was either GSP or a leather coral and then in 2006 Aquarium Specialty opened for business. Also worth noting, I probably had the 1st Acropora coral in North or South Carolina. It came in as a 1 polyp hitchhiker on a Fiji yellow leather coral rock before you could buy acros. It grew it out into a colony and I was selling frags to Tideline Aquatics in Charleston, SC and Fishy Business in Columbia, SC before anyone could get Acropora.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back