What's up guys. New reefer with a 40g tank.

MrReefBuster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up my fellow R2R members?
My names monti and I'm fairly new to saltwater & reef tanks. Had my 40g tank running for about 7 months now. Here's the specs:

Reef octopus classic 90 HOB skimmer
fluval 306 canister filter
1 hydor coralia pump 850 gpd
1 ebay duel pump lol
hydor smart wave controller
Current USA orbit marine led lights
jagger heater 250w
40lbs of Cured dry rocks (cured them myself at home seprate from the tank)
arg alive pink Fiji sand 40 lbs

Fish/inverts & corals:
Reg clown (Nemo )
Tomato clown
hippo/blue tang
yellow tang
Sailfin Tang
Yellow dottie
2 shrimps
1 sand shifting starfish
Hermit crabs
snails
2 anemones (can't get clowns to host :(
Goniopora
Hammer coral
colt coral
mushrooms blue green &red
green pipe organ
Electric torch coral (tomato clown hosts this lol)

Having common new reefer issues. Ammonia (.25-.50 ppm) probably because of too many fish, especially from the 3 TANGS lol. Nitrates around 20-40ppm. Everything else is normal. Eventually I'll get a sump /refugium. Budget reefer so progress is show. I have a youtube channel where I post vids and talk about my tank and it's progression. Look me up, ID is "Mr reef buster" I'm adding a link for my video, you can see the rest by clicking on my username. also follow me on instagram for daily pics and videos @xclusiv_370z I
20150612_172548.jpg
appreciate all the advise and tips. Thanks guys. Happy reefing

Monti

kevinsmixed90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a heavily stocked 40. after 7 months you should not have ammonia/nitrite issues so you may want to increase your water changes until these read zero. as to the clowns I have one in my giant toadstool, one in my colt leather and one in my power head bracket! so don't worry about that. by the way, welcome to R2R!

mr.reeferman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want them to host faster start a seperate smaller tank put the anemone in and the clowns a ten gal tank from wal mart will suffice use water from your current tank to not stress the fish and the anemone nothing else in the tank except maybe the rock the anemone is attached use a large clear tube to drob the clown directly over the anemone maybe even large enough to go around the anemone 8 indiameter clear pvc will prob do the trick as far as ammonia you need to get that situated

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I'd get your ammonia and nitrates figured out with water changes before adding anything else, just my two cents. Those tangs are going to be way too much for that amount of water volume as well.

mr.reeferman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if you dont want to get rid of atleast one tang i would point one of those wave makers down toward your sandbed slightly so they have more current tangs need an excess amount of excercise and a forty is quite small for two pointing it down may also help remove detritus and excess debris and this may help with getting your ammonia down you always want alot of circulation over your sandbed just not to much so you dont dislodge it

OP
OP
MrReefBuster

MrReefBuster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I'd get your ammonia and nitrates figured out with water changes before adding anything else, just my two cents. Those tangs are going to be way too much for that amount of water volume as well.

I know. Id love to get rid of the Sailfin but my mom likes it. Smh

OP
OP
MrReefBuster

MrReefBuster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if you dont want to get rid of atleast one tang i would point one of those wave makers down toward your sandbed slightly so they have more current tangs need an excess amount of excercise and a forty is quite small for two pointing it down may also help remove detritus and excess debris and this may help with getting your ammonia down you always want alot of circulation over your sandbed just not to much so you dont dislodge it

I wanna put a powerhead down more but my sand bed is 1" only. And it blows everywhere if I point down anymore. I'm about to buy a 20/30 gal tank and make my own sump. Hopefully the added volume of water with added filtration media's will bring the nitrate and ammonia down.

mr.reeferman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump will definitely help and if your mom likes it she should get another tank for it tangs are easily stressed fish if they don't have adequate space if it gets bigger it will most likely get very stressed and eventually sick and die loving something sometimes means letting go or spending more

mr.reeferman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump will definitely help and if your mom likes it she should get another tank for it tangs are easily stressed fish if they don't have adequate space if it gets bigger it will most likely get very stressed and eventually sick and die loving something sometimes means letting go or spending more

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 56 41.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.2%
Back