What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
this issue with the 750 models is becoming a concern as I have read of many quality issues over the last 4 months and at the price base and the success of the Red sea line, it makes one wonder and lowers confidence especially since WaterBox has become a major competitor for Red Sea

jamie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several red sea tanks with no issues. the thing is. setup has to be done properly. leveled and set on a stable floor etc. the other thing is. red sea has helped all parties with 750 issues including a party that was obviously lying to take advantage of the current situation. I love that this company stands with their customers. I like red sea nuvo waterbox and marineland. I have used all or more in the past. preparation when setting up a tank is key, especially if you are putting it on an elevated floor with joists and not on a concrete slab.

meteoric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo from a different group on Facebook

750xxl.

A6zibqL.jpg
I would think that this would be a part of the stand that wouldn't have any give. I wonder if they levelled it before they put the tank on it? Mine is nice and tight everywhere there is a support that goes all the way to the ground.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we please keep this thread factual and without personal attacks and insinuations that someone’s being dishonest. The goal here is absolutely not to badmouth Red Sea and I’ve also talked to them and feel much better now that they told me they’ve been investigating the cases.

I have a 750 and my only goal here is to make sure there’s no systemic issue with the tank. Yes my insurance will cover the liability but I really would prefer not to pay 1000% premium increases etc...

To sum up nobody is trying to badmouth RS, it’s a good company and this as of now isn’t a big deal but we want to know if it turns out to be!

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news on this front. On-line retailers are still not carrying the 750xxl. Ive heard rumors of a redesign. Can anyone confirm?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can we please keep this thread factual and without personal attacks and insinuations that someone’s being dishonest. The goal here is absolutely not to badmouth Red Sea and I’ve also talked to them and feel much better now that they told me they’ve been investigating the cases.

I have a 750 and my only goal here is to make sure there’s no systemic issue with the tank. Yes my insurance will cover the liability but I really would prefer not to pay 1000% premium increases etc...

To sum up nobody is trying to badmouth RS, it’s a good company and this as of now isn’t a big deal but we want to know if it turns out to be!

I don't know whether anyone has been dishonest or not. I'm not sure whether you're talking about my post questioning one of the pictures from Facebook, but The picture I questioned was not from a member here - but another group - and I gave my opinion - I just wanted to know how wood would bend in the manner shown in the picture. (and despite the excellent descriptions following my post - I still can't see how that could happen. A front rail that is between 1/2 and 3/4 inches thick and 3 inches wide(deep) doesnt seem possible to be deflected downward - without forward or backward deflection. And - as one person said - there isn't much weight put on that 'rail' anyway - so - how is that board supposedly being deflected upward in the picture I posted (again this is a question - not an insinuation).

I also don't understand another thing about the design of this stand - I find it interesting that that whole bottom of the tank doesnt even sit on the stand. The entire front glass hangs over the edge of the stand - and doesnt even contact the base at all

Curious - what insurance do you have?

My LFS installed my system - so I'm going to ask them to come out and 're-check' it.

Just for the sake of discussion - it seems to me that when someone says (as multiple people have) that they are going with another maker - thats 'badmouthing RedSea'.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also don't understand another thing about the design of this stand - I find it interesting that that whole bottom of the tank doesnt even sit on the stand. The entire front glass hangs over the edge of the stand - and doesnt even contact the base at all

That is how it is on my Reefer 250.. Th front pane overhangs the stand and lines up with the doors.

To me there would only be outward pressure on the front and not downward pressure..

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is how it is on my Reefer 250.. Th front pane overhangs the stand and lines up with the doors.

To me there would only be outward pressure on the front and not down though..
I may be wrong, but from what I understand, as long as all 4 corners of the bottom pane of glass are solidly supported by the stand then it is okay. The part that hangs over is the front pane of glass not the bottom and it is supposed to hang over by design. They have been doing this forever and it hasn't been an issue so I am not too concerned with that.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - what insurance do you have?

I know you didn't ask me, but I have State Farm and they said a leak would probably not be covered since it happens slowly over time, but any sudden accidents that happen and immediately damage property would be covered. So I am assuming a blowout would be covered, but a slow leak that damages the house over any period would not. They are looking further into this so I can give a definite answer soon, but that's all I have for now...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I may be wrong, but from what I understand, as long as all 4 corners of the bottom pane of glass are solidly supported by the stand then it is okay. The part that hangs over is the front pane of glass not the bottom and it is supposed to hang over by design. They have been doing this forever and it hasn't been an issue so I am not too concerned with that.
Sorry I wasnt clear - I know about the design. A couple of the pictures I have seen have looked different (i.e. the front pane was not hanging over the edge.)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

That is what I am saying it should be ok...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know you didn't ask me, but I have State Farm and they said a leak would probably not be covered since it happens slowly over time, but any sudden accidents that happen and immediately damage property would be covered. So I am assuming a blowout would be covered, but a slow leak that damages the house over any period would not. They are looking further into this so I can give a definite answer soon, but that's all I have for now...

Thanks - According to my agent - (and I think lots of people have said this) - Livestock, etc is not covered - the tank is usually not covered unless a tornado damaged the house/tank. If the tank breaks - it MIGHT be covered - but without a special rider it is not guaranteed - it depends on whether they think it was due to your negligence, etc. Of course - if you toss a hammer across the room and your tank breaks you will likely not be covered.

On other threads - its pretty clear that each state - and even particular companies/policies may have different rules - so - I will also be double-checking this with my company today.

ReefDude2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I’m going to call AllState and find out what their policy is before I setup my next big tank.

Thanks for the info!

cloudrida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a few failures lately, especially on their big tanks. A few reports on their 750xxl in last few weeks. One 750xxl had the back pane blow out. The other started leaking at the bottom.

Their Facebook group page is heavily filtered with moderators removing all comments which doesnt favor the company. To give you an example, someone asked if 160+ gallons spilling onto to their floor is covered by home insurance. I said "That would be a question for your insurance company." The comment was deemed "irrelevant", then deleted. Figured my response was pretty relevant....

Hopefully this thread stays open and unchanged unlike their Facebook page. When a conpany has to resort to those kinds of tactics, it's a sign to run for your life. Bottom line, all products in this world have issues... it's just the world we live in. Nothing is perfect. And yes we all know alot of problems are caused by the end customer themselves, and improper installation.

SmartSelect_20190811-045513_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-045234_Facebook.jpg

SmartSelect_20190811-054255_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20190811-052651_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-053900_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-102938_Gallery.jpg
Unfortunately, must contribute to this post to say we are another victim. Catastrophic failure at 0100 Monday morning. Our 750
I have seen a few failures lately, especially on their big tanks. A few reports on their 750xxl in last few weeks. One 750xxl had the back pane blow out. The other started leaking at the bottom.

Their Facebook group page is heavily filtered with moderators removing all comments which doesnt favor the company. To give you an example, someone asked if 160+ gallons spilling onto to their floor is covered by home insurance. I said "That would be a question for your insurance company." The comment was deemed "irrelevant", then deleted. Figured my response was pretty relevant....

Hopefully this thread stays open and unchanged unlike their Facebook page. When a conpany has to resort to those kinds of tactics, it's a sign to run for your life. Bottom line, all products in this world have issues... it's just the world we live in. Nothing is perfect. And yes we all know alot of problems are caused by the end customer themselves, and improper installation.

SmartSelect_20190811-045513_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-045234_Facebook.jpg

SmartSelect_20190811-054255_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20190811-052651_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-053900_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20190811-102938_Gallery.jpg
Unfortunately, I'm disappointed to share we are another labor day victim of the 750 failure with a 0100 wake up to what sounded like a fire hose spraying water in our house. Seven intensive working hours later I was able to get back in bed just after watching the sunrise with our aquarium shop who was amazing in their response. Our tank was professionally installed and managed every 2 weeks by the same shop. Leaders rise up, address issues, and learn from their lessons. Lets see how RS handles our case.

cloudrida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cloudrida sorry to hear about that :(

Any additional details to share? Age of setup, where/how it failed, type of subfloor it was on, etc.
Yeah, lots of lifestock lost. Sad day. The tank was set up professionally Q1'19, including positioning/leveling, keen placement of the live rock, re-leveling, etc. We did none of the work. The tank was professionally installed by a RS dealer. It was sitting on a concrete sub-floor with a very hard wood floor. The wood is unbelievably hard and not even a tiny mark on the floor after the tank was moved out of the house on Monday morning.

The catastrophic failure occurred on the lower seal in the front about 1/3 the way down from the left side. You can see now with the tank removed the seal looks like it was going to separate across almost the entire bottom. Perhaps we lucked up in that the entire front didn't just divorce the rest of the tank in the wee hours of the morning. No warning, no symptom, no sign-an acute failure in the middle of the night to make life interesting.

The 1st time we have heard of any issue is post failure we searched. and to our surprise, we are not alone! If I were at the helm of RS, believe Id already had a team in place to address this issue. And no large tank would be leaving the manufacturing facility or anywhere else for that matter until engineering research could bring forth and honest controlled set of data to support new R&D. No tank should fail without years of use and at the very least some sign/symptom. What is happening here must be addressed.

Thank you,

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately, must contribute to this post to say we are another victim. Catastrophic failure at 0100 Monday morning. Our 750

Unfortunately, I'm disappointed to share we are another labor day victim of the 750 failure with a 0100 wake up to what sounded like a fire hose spraying water in our house. Seven intensive working hours later I was able to get back in bed just after watching the sunrise with our aquarium shop who was amazing in their response. Our tank was professionally installed and managed every 2 weeks by the same shop. Leaders rise up, address issues, and learn from their lessons. Lets see how RS handles our case.

Yes - can you give any more information - this is disturbing. (Edit - the more information came before this post) - thanks - and sorry about your losses.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, lots of lifestock lost. Sad day. The tank was set up professionally Q1'19, including positioning/leveling, keen placement of the live rock, re-leveling, etc. We did none of the work. The tank was professionally installed by a RS dealer. It was sitting on a concrete sub-floor with a very hard wood floor. The wood is unbelievably hard and not even a tiny mark on the floor after the tank was moved out of the house on Monday morning.

The catastrophic failure occurred on the lower seal in the front about 1/3 the way down from the left side. You can see now with the tank removed the seal looks like it was going to separate across almost the entire bottom. Perhaps we lucked up in that the entire front didn't just divorce the rest of the tank in the wee hours of the morning. No warning, no symptom, no sign-an acute failure in the middle of the night to make life interesting.

The 1st time we have heard of any issue is post failure we searched. and to our surprise, we are not alone! If I were at the helm of RS, believe Id already had a team in place to address this issue. And no large tank would be leaving the manufacturing facility or anywhere else for that matter until engineering research could bring forth and honest controlled set of data to support new R&D. No tank should fail without years of use and at the very least some sign/symptom. What is happening here must be addressed.

Thank you,
When did you open a claim with Red Sea and what have they said so far?

Also, was the tank cracked at all or just the seems blowing out? This would be the first I have heard of the seems actually giving out and not the tank cracking...not good. :(

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you,

That is crazy, so sorry to hear. Please keep us updated on Red Sea’s responses to you. Photos would also be great, as we are trying to diagnose the cause of these failures.

Did you post about this on the Red Sea Owners facebook group?

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you,
Did you contact RedSea and what are they doing for you?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back