WHATS WRONG WITH MY PARAMETERS

MB_Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is wrong with my perimeters and how do I fix it?

Alc: 13dkh
Calcium:440ppm
Phosphate: 0.15
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
ph: 7.8
Salinity: 1.023

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is high , salinity is a touch low and your nitrate is low. Depending on what salt you use a water change may correct them. Nitrates you need to feed your fish more, add more fish or start dosing nitrate.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id say, first of, recheck your alk and PH, second, is there visual problem with tank? like corals not happy?

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have an old retired police dog. He walks the perimeter all day long. I think his bark is worse than his bite but Johnson doesn't know that and he hasn't tried to steal from the scrap pile since I got cujo.

Now if you are talking about parameters something just ain't adding up. How can salt and ph read that low with alk that high? What test kit are you using, salt brand, how are you mixing said salt? Then maybe we can figure this out.

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above, something is not adding up. Test kit type and salt mix used could help figure it out. I would retest all parameters and go from there.

OP
OP
MB_Corals

MB_Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my ph and alk again with a API test kit.
Alk:10dkh
Ph:7.9

And the salt I use in water changes is instant ocean

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is wrong with my perimeters and how do I fix it?

Alc: 13dkh
Calcium:440ppm
Phosphate: 0.15
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
ph: 7.8
Salinity: 1.023
My thoughts:
- alk is really high. Should be 7.5-8.5dkh
- phosphate and nitrate is out of balance. Phosphate at 0.15ppm is okay but nitrate at 0ppm is too low. Your corals are starving and possibly being burned by the phosphate level. Look up Redfield ratio.
- stop testing nitrite. If your cycle is complete, it’ll stay 0.
- stop paying attention to pH. pH has to be way way off to cause any harm. Tuning pH is a more experienced reefing thing, so forget that for now.
- Salinity is too low and you should keep it consistent. Corals don’t like fluctuations in salinity.

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my ph and alk again with a API test kit.
Alk:10dkh
Ph:7.9

And the salt I use in water changes is instant ocean
Realistically, you have no idea what your values are because API test kits are terrible. Before spending any money on corals, spend money on good test kits. Start with a good foundation and you’ll be set. Inconsistency in testing results is going to kill your corals and waste you money.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not make any changes to the tank based on API results, better to buy quality test kits.

Why do you assume something wrong with your parameters? Can we see a tank pic? A tank can adjust to parameters, so how a tank looks is more important that actual numbers

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean typically mixes up around 10dkh I believe. Water changes will not lower that if you’re using the same salt mix. Corals will consume it but if you have no corals it will not come down that fast.

As others have said toss the API there not know for consistency in testing. Also salinity is to low and fee more to get nitrates up. I run nitrates at 3-5 consistently. I would go higher but I would need to dose them specifically. Today’s equipment and media can filter a tank empty of nutrients.

It may be time to change salt mix to keep that dKH in check without a lot of coral growth.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big problem with API tests is user error and subjective color determinations. The kits are fine, the users are typically the variable. Follow the tests to the letter, measure carefully, remeasure if you get strange results. Ask someone else to judge the colors. We all see color differently.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API alk test is perfectly fine. It is a titration, like all good alk kits. It is easy to use and matches my Salifert. It is only read in increments of 1, but you can double your sample volume to make it +/- 0.5 dKH.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API alk test is perfectly fine. It is a titration, like all good alk kits. It is easy to use and matches my Salifert. It is only read in increments of 1, but you can double your sample volume to make it +/- 0.5 dKH.
It's really not. All the way down to the test tubes. They give way to much margin of error for the average hobbyist.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back