What's your "dream tank"?

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by Forjam64, Jan 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Forjam64

Forjam64 Member

I got trigger and pistol mixed up. I meant the shrimp that pair up with the gobie

Daltrey likes this.

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Ah... Gobie and Pistol shrimp. Much more reasonable stocking choice for a 25g aquarium :)

I had a tiger pistol in my 60 cube. Active little buggers... make darned sure your rockwork is secure. Mine moved every single grain of sand that was under the rocks. Interesting to watch, but man, they can make a mess.

I'd still be a bit concerned about a clam. They're not known as 'giant clams' for nothing :)

3. Forjam64

Forjam64 Member

I guess I haven't done my due diligence yet in researching the clams. I've only seen them at 4-5 inches long. That being said 95% of the clams I've seen have been beautiful. I know they need very specific water parameters so it would probably be more down the road.

Would reef putty holding the rock to the glass bottom solve the problem with the digging?

4. Greybeard

Greybeard Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Clams are gorgeous. Even the ones that aren't quite as brightly colored. I'm particularly fond of Squamosa clams. May not have the color of a Maxima, but man, those patterns. Yeah, the small ones you see at the stores are just babies... Healthy clams grow rapidly. That little 3" squamosa could be 18" across in a few years!

I wouldn't putty the rock to the glass, but gluing (or pinning) the rock into a single, stable unit is a good idea. Just so it can't fall while the shrimp is redecorating.

5. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

My "dream tank" would be one that holds me in the ocean, rather than hold the ocean in my house.

ConradMaldivesUnderwaterSuite_HR.jpg

Until I hit the billion dollar powerball... I'll settle for this. 35g cube, 20" in all directions. Lit by 2 Kessil A160WE. Eshopps cube 15g sump with refugium lit by a H380.

20171229_151522.jpg

Mandelstam likes this.
  6. Forjam64

Forjam64 Member

That's a nice compact set-up. I like the stand and the side drawers. I imagine that space is useful to keep stuff within arms reach during maintenance

7. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

My fiancee actually got that end table for me. It matches the rest of our living room. She was tired of test kits sitting on the dining room table. I've got dosing powder, carbon, GFO, cleaning supplies, filter socks... all that stuff she didn't want on the table is in that cabinet.

8. Forjam64

Forjam64 Member

Gotta always remember who's buttering your bread

Robin Haselden likes this.
  9. Forjam64

Forjam64 Member

I always cringe when I see the middle brace on the stand. If I had a choice I would have a 2 x 2 tube steel frame with a cabinet facade attached magnetically. If the tank was too big to have clear access to the sump, then it's time for a "fish room".

10. oneilwiz

oneilwiz Active Member

I agree my ultimate dream tank is one of those Redsea Reefer Peninsula 500.

11. Forjam64

Forjam64 Member

Dream scenario, I'd like a 300 gal visible from the kitchen, living room,and front door. As well as a 150 in my man cave with a "fish room" behind the tank. (2) 50 gallon frag tanks and several QT. The rest of my Powerball winnings would go towards help with maintenance lol

oneilwiz likes this.
  12. Mack85

Mack85 Member

my dream tank is

6-2.jpg

Forjam64 likes this.
  13. Forjam64

Forjam64 Member

Really cool tank, as long as the kitchen is located in the middle of the house. I would think temperature would be tough to maintain if you somehow swapped out a window for aquarium.

14. GBRsouth

GBRsouth Active Member

And your wife might make you do the dishes while your standing there staring at the tank!:eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted