What's your favorite reef salt?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So like the title says, I'm curious what everyone's favorite reef salt is and why? I've used the purple Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, and Coralife salt. I feel like I've had the best coral response from the Reef Crystals.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you prefer Tropic Marin? Cost, coral response, alkalinity balance...?
It's not cheap (probably the most expensive), but it's wicked easy to mix (almost no dust and you can have it in the tank with mere minutes). The "out-of-the-bucket" salt parameters are very close to what I run in my tank, so after a water change I really don't notice any swings.

I've used Instant Ocean, AquaForest and Red Sea Coral Pro and Tropic Marin has given me the most stable, consistent results. I also have a philosophy: Go German or go home...

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Crystals, because it's cheap and always available. I know there are much better brands but I don't see them being worth the added cost.

Upvote 0

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Tropic Marin. I have a 30g and don’t do too many water changes so it lasts a good amount of time. 2 different boxes both tested at 7 for alk, and it’s super consistent and mixed easy. If I didn’t do Tropic Marin I’d probably do Red Sea blue bucket (might try it one day). I wouldve said reef crystals (which I have used before) as my runner up but I don’t like keeping alk high.

Upvote 0

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used tropic Marin but considering how hard it is to get and how expensive I switched over to fritz pro salt. One thing I didn’t like tropic Marin is you have to raise your alk in the new mix as it comes in at 7 dkh. Also the accuracy of the product to how much it produces is wrong. The 200 gallon bucket lasted me probably 130-50 gallons at 1.025. I just started fritz and alk is where I want it and it mixes just as clear as tropic Marin. Used the redsea mix in between and left residue in my mixing bucket that turned me off

Upvote 0

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you prefer Tropic Marin? Cost, coral response, alkalinity balance...?
Pharmaceutical grade ingredients

Others used mined ingredients with LOTS of impurities

Night n day difference. I'm switching to TM when I run out of Fritz and sale is happening

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea blue with a little bit of this, and a little bit of that. Its where I think its good, and have good results. Would only recommend testing each batch they are sometimes off.

Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried most of the major brands. I’ve been using Fritz for the last year, but I also like Red Sea, Tropic Marin, and Aquaforest. But all the major brands are perfectly usable, it really just comes down to personal preference and what parameters you like your salt to mix to (I’m not a huge fan of raise the alkalinity when doing a water change, mostly just because I’m lazy). I’ve seen amazing tanks that are kept using Instant Ocean, and I’ve see really pitiful tanks that are kept using Tropic Marin, IME the salt you use is one of the lowest rungs on the successful reef tank ladder, just find one you like and stick with it.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back