Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jack89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread...
This is expensive hobby. Especially from the country where i am staying.
Everything is rare here, even the purple tang and yellow tang.
I pay 125$ for a yellow tang, 200$ + for purple tang and have paid 250$ for my flame angel.
Corals are also expensive the cheapest coral i have ever bought is pale brown hammer that is 150$ +.

So i dont have the limit as i have paid 400$ for green hammer which is easily available at your countries for 50$

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread...
This is expensive hobby. Especially from the country where i am staying.
Everything is rare here, even the purple tang and yellow tang.
I pay 125$ for a yellow tang, 200$ + for purple tang and have paid 250$ for my flame angel.
Corals are also expensive the cheapest coral i have ever bought is pale brown hammer that is 150$ +.

So i dont have the limit as i have paid 400$ for green hammer which is easily available at your countries for 50$

Yikes! You're a trooper! Where are you?

LE0

High end Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300$ is my max but i will spend the money for the one fish i truly want which is the feminus wrasse ever since i saw it in person I always wanted one.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having kept fish forever I don't get hung up on the hard to find fish or rare fish. I like tank raised or aquacultured fish up to 100 dollars and I am not in love at all with this whole designer clown fish stuff.

KDawg0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most I have paid so far is 80$ for an Emperor. But I would go as high as I needed for an Achilles Tang and my wife would like a pair of Wantinabi Angels. But for the foreseeable future. 100$

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having kept fish forever I don't get hung up on the hard to find fish or rare fish. I like tank raised or aquacultured fish up to 100 dollars and I am not in love at all with this whole designer clown fish stuff.

I don't like the designer clowns either. They don't look natural (probably because they technically aren't) and I try to create a natural looking reef in my tank.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan either. Designer clowns are probably more geared towards nano markets because most expensive, rare, ornamental fish are too large for their tanks. Clowns are a nice size

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing how we have such an arbitrary cutoff point. I'm glad I'm not alone!

nwkermit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all depends. I normally won't pay more than $100 for a fish...but someone have a peppermint angel for $1000....i get that in a heartbeat.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a senior it's hard to overcome remembering what a dollar would buy many years ago. It also doesn't help that I had a saltwater fish tank forty years ago and nice angels could be bought for $30 back then. Now days the fish don't really interest me. A few tangs and a couple of assorted reef fish give a little activity to my reef tank but raising the corals from tiny frags and watching them grow is what the tank is all about to me. I might go as high as fifty dollars for a nice tang, etc. but my goal is successful reef keeping, not in how much I can afford to put into the tank. And let's face it unless you're a very experienced reef keeper an extra expensive fish or coral is going to be hard to keep in comparison to the cheaper fish and corals in many cases. Maybe I'm just to cheap (frugal) for this hobby beyond the lower priced specimens.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My limit used to be $50, but thanks to my wrasse addiction it's been bumped to $300.
My beginners limit was 50, then 80 for a year or two.. Then 100... And in the past two years it's been 2, then 300

reef4beer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to say the most expensive fish I got was a blonde naso for about$65. Like everyone else, spend the big bucks on corals instead.

Wish we could find someone that has bought a peppermint angel :p

peppermint_angelfish600.jpg

Back