When it comes to this hobby.... what's your biggest PET PEEVE?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to this hobby.... what's your biggest PET PEEVE? ..... the one thing that irrates you more than the average Reefer
When people say Cheeto instead of chaeto. No idea why it bothers me. But I can imagine someone dumping a bag of Cheetos in their tank when they say that.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to this hobby.... what's your biggest PET PEEVE? ..... the one thing that irrates you more than the average Reefer
When people ask about ‘Pet Peeves’!

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I *love* pet peeve threads.

When people advertise frags for sale but havent actually cut the frags yet.

When people price zoas per polyp. Who actually wants to pay 10 times more just because it has 10 times the number of polyps? Seems like a trick to make the price seem reasonable when its actually very high.

Gearheads. They exist in every hobby, but seem especially common in ours. Listening to people brag about their shiny expensive gear has always been about as interesting to me as listening to guys brag about their 'conquests' on dates, and has always seemed to show a similar lack of class. Always been much more interested in what you can do with the gear than in how 'high end' or 'top of the line' it is.

HotManwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people say Cheeto instead of chaeto. No idea why it bothers me. But I can imagine someone dumping a bag of Cheetos in their tank when they say that.
An employee at one of the stores around me pronounced it "Shayeetoh" in a patronizing tone, after I asked for a cup of it. I'd be upset if it wasn't so funny!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto: Pronounced Kchaaeaattoe, or kato, or chato, or cheeto or something.

Which brings up a pet peeve. There's so many words used out there that I only see spelled out and have no idea how to pronounce. Not to mention the acronyms that keep me mystified.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest pet peeve is I personally DO NOT take life very seriously.....I use comedy a LOT to dismantle the Chaos in life.

My biggest pet peeve on R2R is when om criticized and brow-beated over throwing a little comedy in all these serious scientific posts looking for Holy Grail answers.

Cant count how many times I've been replied back to saying, "if you have nothing of value to add to my post, plz quit trolling"

;Drool Get over yourself and lighten up

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching YouTube videos for DIY projects. It's NEVER as easy or cheap as they make it out to be!
One of my biggest pet peeves: the Youtubification of the internet in general and our hobby in particular. I think we will be the last literate generation.

My new rule to live by: anyone who has a thought worth reading will write it down in text.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brings up a pet peeve. There's so many words used out there that I only see spelled out and have no idea how to pronounce.

Cor•al /ˈkôrəl,ˈkärəl/ (noun) - {Latin language of origin} hard, variously colored, calcareous skeleton secreted by certain marine polyps that's mostly likely to DIE in your tank after spending exorbitant, ridiculous amounts of money to own it

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my biggest pet peeves: the Youtubification of the internet in general and our hobby in particular. I think we will be the last literate generation.

My new rule to live by: anyone who has a thought worth reading will write it down in text.
Truer words have never been spoken!! I would much rather read instructions than watch a video! I usually watch the video and write down the steps so I can reference them. Drives me crazy!!

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peeve is that being in the UK the choice of corals is awful. I've visited WWC and seen what can be found in the US, then I come home to the UK and it's pitiful by comparison.
Yeah but you can get one awesome plate of Escargot in Europe

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truer words have never been spoken!! I would much rather read instructions than watch a video! I usually watch the video and write down the steps so I can reference them. Drives me crazy!!
The problem with YouTube DIY vids, there are tooooooo many assumptions going from one step to another.

Example: a great DIY vid would show steps:

In reality its like:
1 (for 20mins)
2 skipped over
3 (mentioned in 1.25 seconds)
Back to 1
5 referred to in another vid
7 skipped assuming you knew that
9..... easy peasy, right?

Last edited:

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto: Pronounced Kchaaeaattoe, or kato, or chato, or cheeto or something.

Which brings up a pet peeve. There's so many words used out there that I only see spelled out and have no idea how to pronounce. Not to mention the acronyms that keep me mystified.

Exactly my friend. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back