When it comes to this hobby.... what's your biggest PET PEEVE?

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a person asks for help...given proper, solid, helpful, correct info by several and the person never bother and does something completely different usually regretting not considering the past advice...aka as an ******* in the hobby.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest pet peeve is I personally DO NOT take life very seriously.....I use comedy a LOT to dismantle the Chaos in life.

My biggest pet peeve on R2R is when om criticized and brow-beated over throwing a little comedy in all these serious scientific posts looking for Holy Grail answers.

Cant count how many times I've been replied back to saying, "if you have nothing of value to add to my post, plz quit trolling"

;Drool Get over yourself and lighten up
Maybe the more scientific type threads don't need the humor? When people are trying to have a serious discussion, it just adds annoying fluff

I mean, I've probably read about 100000 scientific articles, and haven't seen Garfield pol up once

Last edited:

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest pet peeve is I personally DO NOT take life very seriously.....I use comedy a LOT to dismantle the Chaos in life.

My biggest pet peeve on R2R is when om criticized and brow-beated over throwing a little comedy in all these serious scientific posts looking for Holy Grail answers.

Cant count how many times I've been replied back to saying, "if you have nothing of value to add to my post, plz quit trolling"

;Drool Get over yourself and lighten up

Yep..... You sell a frag the size of a pea for > $100 I don’t care what it’s name is.... I’m gonna have a laugh at your expense.

Or the people who sell a “frag” from a “colony” and show the “colony” picture which is just a bigger frag, so I always ask if they have pictures of the colony.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep..... You sell a frag the size of a pea for > $100 I don’t care what it’s name is.... I’m gonna have a laugh at your expense.

Or the people who sell a “frag” from a “colony” and shoe the “colony” picture which is just a bigger frag, so I always ask if they have pictures of the colony.
Exactly 2 branches and I have a colony!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people say Cheeto instead of chaeto. No idea why it bothers me. But I can imagine someone dumping a bag of Cheetos in their tank when they say that.

How do you pronounce acropora? gonipora ? poccilopora?

Because, 99% of US reefkeepers pronounce these incorrectly.
Who cares? tomato/tamato.

I guess that's why the call them pet peeves.

I have mine too, but majority is bad husbandry and I'll admit when someone mispronounced something, part of me wants to correct them but, don't want to come off as a jerk.

PS: Acropora and most the other "poras" are pronouced - example - Ah-crop-rah. not Ack-row-poor-ah

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you pronounce acropora? gonipora ? poccilopora?

Because, 99% of US reefkeepers pronounce these incorrectly.
Who cares? tomato/tamato.

I guess that's why the call them pet peeves.

I have mine too, but majority is bad husbandry and I'll admit when someone mispronounced something, part of me wants to correct them but, don't want to come off as a jerk.

PS: Acropora and most the other "poras" are pronouced - example - Ah-crop-rah. not Ack-row-poor-ah
Acropora is a fine example. That’s one that I let mentally slide (as I pronounce it wrong as well). But I just can’t get past cheeto for some reason.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropora is a fine example. That’s one that I let mentally slide (as I pronounce it wrong as well). But I just can’t get past cheeto for some reason.

I feel you there, when I worked in reef shops I'd always use the mispronunciation as well, because I feel like if I were to say it the correct way I'd get some side eye or confusion.

Ones that always crack me up are the mispronunciation of nudibranch, or conch lol

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you there, when I worked in reef shops I'd always use the mispronunciation as well, because I feel like if I were to say it the correct way I'd get some side eye or confusion.

Ones that always crack me up are the mispronunciation of nudibranch, or conch lol
I had a thread about this quite awhile back. Nudibranch is one of my favorites on the list. Most people pronounce it correctly. But there are a lonely few... Even the plural of nudibranch gets to me.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fairness, if you put four coral biologists together in a room you are likely to get 4 different pronunciations of Acropora, too. It all comes down to which syllable is emphasized.

While there are technically rules for pronunciation of dead languages, they're spoken so little that they end up diverging more in pronunciation than live languages. You can see this to some extent with the general differences in how researchers in the Caribbean region pronounce Acropora vs workers in the Indo Pacific.

Probably the funniest one I've ever come across was an odd pronunciation of Seriatopora.
Sare-ee-at-a-POOR-ah
Just makes me laugh every time I hear it. (I've generally heard and pronounced Sare-ee-a-TOP-or-ah)

For the record, I'm firmly in the A-CROP-or-ah camp!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When someone comes to the forum and asks a genuine question or concern and they are received by know it alls and smart ***s. With just a light amount of help from people who actually help.

People that hog the spotlight

People that won’t stop posting till they get the last word.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back