When should I add my sand?

Bricks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost ready for water, all I need to do is figure out my electrical situation with my outlets. I've set up all of my rock, but when should I add my sand? I currently have my live sand in bags waiting to be added to the tank. Should I add the sand right before the water or is it ok to add it now?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long before you will be adding water? If it's a matter of hours, it shouldn't make any difference. If it will be days, I'd wait. There are a lot of differing opinions about the benefits of using live sand, but in my opinion, there's no point in allowing the sand to start drying out and killing off any bacteria.

OP
OP
Bricks

Bricks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long before you will be adding water? If it's a matter of hours, it shouldn't make any difference. If it will be days, I'd wait. There are a lot of differing opinions about the benefits of using live sand, but in my opinion, there's no point in allowing the sand to start drying out and killing off any bacteria.
I'll probably be waiting a few days. If that's the case, then I'll just add the sand a few hours before I add the water or at least the same day. Thanks!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably be waiting a few days. If that's the case, then I'll just add the sand a few hours before I add the water or at least the same day. Thanks!

No problem. And welcome to R2R by the way.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many lay the sand then add water.
I add the water and salt mix and turn on power heads to get it mixed in the tank for 24 hrs and then add the sand. Live sand in bags will be cloudy when added but clear in 12 hours. I then smooth out the sand and see how well and fast my filter system can clear this up.
Than I add liquid bacteria (Dr. Tims or Bacter 7)

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tip, when you have rinsed the sand and then placed it in your tank, before you add your water, place the bag that the sand came in with, obviously rinse the bag before you place it inside on top of the sand. When you start filling with water make sure you pour it over the bag, this way the sand does not get stirred up, the bag will rise with the water as you keep filling to your level and you have no cloudy water, it worked for me.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back