When to add a Nem???

How old was your tank when you added your nem??

• 0-3 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-7 months

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • 8-12 months

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Over a year

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to know how long everyone waited until adding their anemones to their systems! Looking to add one soon but worried that my tank is too young (6 months).

Thanks and Happy Reefing!

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason people say wait 6 months is because if you are new, your tank goes through a lot of changes which they don't like. If you're tank is stable and you are taking readings to check its stability then you are good to go.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason people say wait 6 months is because if you are new, your tank goes through a lot of changes which they don't like. If you're tank is stable and you are taking readings to check its stability then you are good to go.
Good to hear! My parameters have been stable for some time now so I might give it a shot! All my corals (except for a frag of zoas) are growing and doing well also so that gives me a little more hope:)

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear! My parameters have been stable for some time now so I might give it a shot! All my corals (except for a frag of zoas) are growing and doing well also so that gives me a little more hope:)

I've been in the hobby for 14 years now. Just setup a new 120g and added one in the first month after cycle because I know how to keep a tank stable. 6 months later the nem has doubled in size and doing great.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for 14 years now. Just setup a new 120g and added one in the first month after cycle because I know how to keep a tank stable. 6 months later the nem has doubled in size and doing great.
I think I’m going to give it a shot. Any tips?

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to give it a shot. Any tips?

Have good strong lighting for it. Don't expect it to stay in the spot you place it in. If your powerheads have covers put them on at least for the first two weeks. They can stay put for 5 years and then decide to move. Just buy one that looks healthy that's extended and has a closed mouth.

You can feed them if you want quicker growth. I generally feed mine once a week. My clowns though do a good job at bringing food into its mouth though. That's one of the reasons it has grown so quickly.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have good strong lighting for it. Don't expect it to stay in the spot you place it in. If your powerheads have covers put them on at least for the first two weeks. They can stay put for 5 years and then decide to move. Just buy one that looks healthy that's extended and has a closed mouth.

You can feed them if you want quicker growth. I generally feed mine once a week. My clowns though do a good job at bringing food into its mouth though. That's one of the reasons it has grown so quickly.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back