When to add chaeto?

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi team,

I have a biocube 32 that I’m about to get up and cycling. I bought an InTank fuge basket. Do I wait for cycling to be over before I add in the chaeto?
Thanks in advance!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi team,

I have a biocube 32 that I’m about to get up and cycling. I bought an InTank fuge basket. Do I wait for cycling to be over before I add in the chaeto?
Thanks in advance!
You'll want to wait until the cycle is complete and you have some inhabitants generating waste. At least, historically, that's what I've always done. Other members may pop in with better advice though.

a007grif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually depends on how your cycling your tank. I had about the same question for the guys over at Florida Reef Labs when I got Chaeto from them, and they gave me some amazing advice. They had me dose nitrate and phosphate early along with bacter 7 and added about 5 fish in my sump (so I could get them out after if didnt want to keep them or if they just died). I even bought some Chaeto Grow and dosed that and my tank cycled fully within a week or two and chaeto was growing well within the first week. I only grow chaeto in my sump with a regular LED white light and a basket to contain the fibers if any break off, and it grows out of control in there.

temphermitcrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a great experience buying Chaeto and Pods from Florida Reef Labs. They arrived alive and packaged nicely with little ice packs. Shipping was very reasonable. The Chaeto was clean and super healthy and has already grown 4 times the size in just a week. This is in a newly cycled tank with very little Phosphate and Nitrate. The pods were easy to see so there were plenty and they seem to be thriving. I will purchase from Florida Reef Labs again.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no point adding cheato at the start as there won’t be any nutrients to export .

Similar to everything else in this hobby. .
If you want long enough . It will eventually take over .

This was a tennis ball size when I added it. .
And I’m harvesting one handful once per month .

What to do with it ?
That’s my question

I’ve been tossing it in the trash

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 20

temphermitcrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added it from the start based on a recommendation to setup and maintain the tank at the start the same way I will maintain it later. The tank is much bigger for me so getting started with good maintenance habits seemed like a good idea.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back