When to run skimmer/cycling

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a 13.5 Fluval EVO 2 days ago. added live sand and water and Biospira. I’ve been testing the salinity like a maniac and it’s stayed at a stable level. All parameters are good so far. I added a little fish food to “ghost feed” too. Water is at 78 degrees and the pump and wave maker are running. No lights are on. how long (approximately) will it take to cycle? I’m adding live rock in a week or so from my LFS. should I continue to ghost feed or quit? and when will I need to run the skimmer?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how quickly the fish food is broken down. It shouldn't take much time for the tank to be ready (maybe 2 weeks max?) Btw make sure their live rock is not pest filled. LFS live rock can come with a variety of annoying critters. As for the skimmer, it doesn't matter as long as its a few days after adding the bacteria

Last edited:

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run all equipment from day 1.....

Maybe it wont have anything to do, but, if its new skimmer, it will break in by the time that tank build up organics for skimmer to pull

OP
OP
Sailaway

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run all equipment from day 1.....

Maybe it wont have anything to do, but, if its new skimmer, it will break in by the time that tank build up organics for skimmer to pull
It depends on how quickly the fish food is broken down. It shouldn't take much time for the tank to be ready (maybe 2 weeks max?) Btw make sure their live rock is not pest filled. LFS live rock can come with a variety of annoying critters. As for the skimmer, it doesn't matter as long as its a few days after adding the bacteria
Will the skimmer mess with the bacteria? And would dry rock be a better choice? I’ve heard you can rid of bad hitchhikers by dipping live rock in coral dip or high salinity water.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no real point to cycle without the rocks, the rocks are the most important part of the whole setup.

Personally I always turn on equipment from day 1 of cycling. I use the cycling period to test my equipment and break it in, dial it in the way that i like, and learn to take it apart, clean it, and put it back together.

I also turn on my lights right away, against todays popular opinion. I want algae to show up soon as possible , it is life, and when I see algae I run to the store to get snails. The sooner you add life the faster everything goes.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy live rock, then do your best to keep it live, no dipping,no curing, nothing.

Hikers are not bad thing, for me, they have purpose and meaning, today live rock is considered some rock keept in tub for months/years, in almost sterile conditions.

That is not live rock, if you get true fresh from ocean live rock, trust me, you dont want kill anything on, or in it ;)

Skimmer will not interfere in cycling process, that suff dont happens in water.....

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the skimmer mess with the bacteria? And would dry rock be a better choice? I’ve heard you can rid of bad hitchhikers by dipping live rock in coral dip or high salinity water.

Nah the skimmer won't mess with cycling bacteria once they have settled on a surface. As for rock, it is a personal choice. Not all pests are removed in those methods. I'd prefer something from aquabiomics, a pinch of real reef sand from somewhere else, or aquaforest life source. Then I'd add some copepods.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back