When to start a refugium

tdburchett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am coming from the world of planted tanks where the “best practice” for starting a new tank is to fill it with plants (of course, there is still lots of debate on that as there are in all things). Does this still apply to a salt water tank refugium? Is it best to start it up on day 1 while the tank is cycling? If not, when is it best to start up?

Second question- since Algae Barn is sold out of chaeto, do you have any other recommended source for pest free chaeto? Thank you.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am coming from the world of planted tanks where the “best practice” for starting a new tank is to fill it with plants (of course, there is still lots of debate on that as there are in all things). Does this still apply to a salt water tank refugium? Is it best to start it up on day 1 while the tank is cycling? If not, when is it best to start up?

Second question- since Algae Barn is sold out of chaeto, do you have any other recommended source for pest free chaeto? Thank you.
You are going to get a lot of different views on this, but here is mine lol.

If I setup/start a new tank with a fuge, it gets macro added on day 1. I do this, as ammonia is a simple N source for the macro and it is also what is used to begin the cycle. Light cycle may not be as long when doing this and usually gets bumped to longer and longer as NO3 begins to form. I also watch the macro to make sure it is not losing color or degrading.

As for the cheato, I no longer use it and use gracilaria hayi. For me, it traps less detritus, uptakes just as much and also does not seem to allow GHA to grow on it as well. I also use it for nutrient recycle and all my herbivores love it.

OP
OP
tdburchett

tdburchett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I setup/start a new tank with a fuge, it gets macro added on day 1. I do this, as ammonia is a simple N source for the macro and it is also what is used to begin the cycle. Light cycle may not be as long when doing this and usually gets bumped to longer and longer as NO3 begins to form. I also watch the macro to make sure it is not losing color or degrading.

As for the cheato, I no longer use it and use gracilaria hayi. For me, it traps less detritus, uptakes just as much and also does not seem to allow GHA to grow on it as well. I also use it for nutrient recycle and all my herbivores love it.
Thanks!

OP
OP
tdburchett

tdburchett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eagle_Steve, I just looked up Gracilaria hayi. Does it work well in a small free-floating refugium? I am setting up a Nuvo 20, so the refugium is quite small.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eagle_Steve, I just looked up Gracilaria hayi. Does it work well in a small free-floating refugium? I am setting up a Nuvo 20, so the refugium is quite small.
as in a back chamber? like in between a media rack section? If so, it is what I use in my biocube 32 and have no issues.

It is more of a ball, sort of lol, so as it grows, you can just pluck off sections of it to thin it out.

OP
OP
tdburchett

tdburchett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as in a back chamber? like in between a media rack section? If so, it is what I use in my biocube 32 and have no issues.

It is more of a ball, sort of lol, so as it grows, you can just pluck off sections of it to thin it out.
Yes, in the back chamber in an In-Tank refugium media basket. I am excited to hear it fits- that sounds like a great solution. Thank you very much.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back