When to start dosing???

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in Phase II of my cycle. As of today I'm ~6weeks in with no lights on with another 10 or so weeks to go. I'm curious as to when I need to begin dosing the tank? Before I add the my first corals..if so how many days or weeks before? Or do I wait until after I add my corals? I will be dosing All-for-Reef.

Thanks in Advance!

Arcflash_207

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you need to. You don't need to dose just to dose, when tank growth starts depleting params that water changes won't take care of.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in Phase II of my cycle. As of today I'm ~6weeks in with no lights on with another 10 or so weeks to go. I'm curious as to when I need to begin dosing the tank? Before I add the my first corals..if so how many days or weeks before? Or do I wait until after I add my corals? I will be dosing All-for-Reef.

Thanks in Advance
Yep, you may find that water changes alone are sufficient to maintain desired parameters.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dose if your testing suggests a parameter is insufficient. Otherwise, if your numbers are all looking ok, then I wouldn't dose.

Your goal is to keep the numbers stable first. If something needs to be increased, you do that slowly, as in over the course of days/weeks.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only dose something after testing for it. If you don't know for sure dosing is needed, don't do it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing will determine when you'll need to start dosing. You'll want to pick up alk and calc test kits (and my preference is any kit, other than API). When corals are small/few, water changes will keep up with demand. As corals begin to grow, or you have a full tank of frags, you'll need to dose to maintain proper levels.

HERE's an article that explains dosing.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone replies. From what I gathered, no need to dose until I introduce corals. I'm using ProReef and the levels are already near optimal parameters to begin with.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone replies. From what I gathered, no need to dose until I introduce corals. I'm using ProReef and the levels are already near optimal parameters to begin with.
No need to dose at all until you can test the need to .
Routine water changes will replenish values for the first while after adding corals .
When coralline algae starts growing , start testing alk , cal , mag .
alk and cal
Will be the first noticed to drop .
I would also recommend a good test kit for nitrates and phosphates .
( salifert nitrate is good .
hanna makes a great phosphorus and alk kit .
Cal I would recommend salifert

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup as others have said, no need to dose until you have corals in. I too use All For Reef, and until you get a mega stock of coral the easiest way is going to be to dose based on alk. Get a Hanna Alkalinity checker and go slow dosing, test daily until you have your mls dialed in then you can reduce to testing weekly. Shoot for a range 8-8.5 dkh, don’t tinker chasing the exact number just try and stay in the ballpark.

As you’re only dosing on additive I recommend the Kamoer X1 Pro, very solid. Happy reefing!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back