Where to buy acrylic tank?

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to buy an acrylic tank in the range of 29-50 gallons. Does anyone have experience with this company called Fish tanks direct? Any other places you guys would recommend?

OP
OP
Age_of_Aquarius

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me also say that I am a beginner. My brother and I had marine tank back in the mid-nineties but that is my experience in total with salt. Prior to that time, we always had freshwater.

I have been considering AIO or traditional tank with separate components. I am settled on a traditional tank with a sump instead of canister filter. Starting from nothing here, buying all the components is a bit daunting. Taking this into account, is there a vendor that has great phone support in helping me determine the best components. My main concern is getting the sump, media, skimmer, and heater setup correctly for my tank size. #reefsquad

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to buy an acrylic tank in the range of 29-50 gallons. Does anyone have experience with this company called Fish tanks direct? Any other places you guys would recommend?
Following. I’m quoting Advanced acrylic for a tank sump combo. I’m curious what info you come across

OP
OP
Age_of_Aquarius

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now a wrench has been thrown into my acrylic plan. I spoke with a tech from BRS and from what I understand these tanks are REALLY easy to scratch. I had heard about the scratching issue, but did not realize even a grain of sand on your algae magnet cleaner could cause a scratch!?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now a wrench has been thrown into my acrylic plan. I spoke with a tech from BRS and from what I understand these tanks are REALLY easy to scratch. I had heard about the scratching issue, but did not realize even a grain of sand on your algae magnet cleaner could cause a scratch!?
That is true, but use a magic eraser for all in water cleaning, an old credit card for coralline. Microfiber for outside.
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original, Cleaning Pads with Durafoam, 9 Count

There is a different look to acrylic which makes the tank look more like a cube of water than a fish tank. Glass has a different refractive index. I think the acrylic is closer to water.

OP
OP
Age_of_Aquarius

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true, but use a magic eraser for all in water cleaning, an old credit card for coralline. Microfiber for outside.
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original, Cleaning Pads with Durafoam, 9 Count

There is a different look to acrylic which makes the tank look more like a cube of water than a fish tank. Glass has a different refractive index. I think the acrylic is closer to water.

YES YES this exactly why I want do acrylic. Its definitely a little harder to get the ball rolling as it seems there are less packaged deals like with a Waterbox or Red Sea type combo.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES YES this exactly why I want do acrylic. Its definitely a little harder to get the ball rolling as it seems there are less packaged deals like with a Waterbox or Red Sea type combo.
Call fish tanks direct, for aio suggestions.
I'm not familiar with aio acrylics, any r2r members?

OP
OP
Age_of_Aquarius

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call fish tanks direct, for aio suggestions.
I'm not familiar with aio acrylics, any r2r members?
Thanks for recommendation! I have actually spoken with them for the first time today and they were very helpful. Plant to call back tomorrow to get more info and will report my findings here.

OP
OP
Age_of_Aquarius

Age_of_Aquarius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering purchasing , a 50g 36 x 15 x 20. Here is link. I plan to have a sump. You will notice this tank has an internal overflow. Just want to get someone's thoughts on this tank for versatility in the marine world? Would a cube style be better? Is this tank too narrow?

Jonathan Adams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for recommendation! I have actually spoken with them for the first time today and they were very helpful. Plant to call back tomorrow to get more info and will report my findings here.
I'm interested to hear what yoru experiences are. I'm dealing with John at Adavanced Acrylic. He's working on quoting me a 210 long, 67 gallon sump, and separate ATO. The prices seem super competitive and he's responding extremely quickly. I hope they treat you well!

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of shipping prices are people seeing? I was quoted $1,250 shipping for a 96x24x30. Not even cross country, only two time zones away.

Back