Which “Reef Safe with Caution” fish are you happy you added?

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This angers me. I have a tank of LPS and wish I could have a Lamark, or Bellus, or Swallowtail, or Watanabei, or Potters, but I was told NO Angel species can be 100% trusted. Boo!! to all of you! LOL. That Purple mask is stunning!

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This angers me. I have a tank of LPS and wish I could have a Lamark, or Bellus, or Swallowtail, or Watanabei, or Potters, but I was told NO Angel species can be 100% trusted. Boo!! to all of you! LOL. That Purple mask is stunning!
Lol! :p Thank you - I love my Venustus. She is the first in the tank to rush up greet me each day. While she would go after a trachy or fleshy LPS (if I had any) she is worth the concessions I have made in coral stocking.
But as stated, Genicanthus are a good choice if you want angels in a reef tank.

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard about Genicanthus, and so called being "reef safe" but I have also heard on some threads where they just go coo coo for cocoa puffs one day and start to take out Zoas, open brains, and other LPS. I guess I love my garden of Fruit loops, Darth Mauls, and Dragon eye Zoas too much to chance it. But, I am human and easily supceptible to temptation. We shall see.

Eddie Rogers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooper band great fish

E5DD501A-8442-4F6A-8C3E-E464A2CA3DF7.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent added one yet, but ill sure add a FLAME ANGLE when i get the chance

Completely worth the risk, flames are gorgeous! :)

My tangs. Just about every species of tang has been reported as a for-sure coral eater, so I am happy that none of mine are yet.

I would rate the riskiness in this order: large angels, tangs, small angels, Hal. wrasses and wayyyyy down the list are Genicanthus Angelfish and Xanthichthys triggerfish.

I’ve not had any tangs nip at coral? I’ve owned probably 50. It isn’t unheard of but is uncommon! :)

Last edited:

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal angel, moorish idol, flame angel, potters angel to name a few!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a CBB myself. Prior to that I would have to say my Halichoeres melanurus wrasse. Never been able to get a decent picture though.

20180624_164955.jpg

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a CBB myself. Prior to that I would have to say my Halichoeres melanurus wrasse. Never been able to get a decent picture though.

20180624_164955.jpg
Such a stunning fish though!

Melanarus aren’t that bad!

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty , imperator angel in my previous tank. Will be adding again when time is right.

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a chance on a Scarus Quoyi dwarf parrotfish and I’m so glad I did. It is considered reef safe with caution. It’s one of the least understood fish out there but so beautiful and so friendly. It gently eats right out of my hand without hesitation. You’ll see her swimming and eating algae in this video. These are slow growing fish and the dwarfs NEVER touch live corals. I have also spoken with other owners and this fish NEVER touches anyone’s else’s corals either, just algae.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a chance on a Scarus Quoyi dwarf parrotfish and I’m so glad I did. It is considered reef safe with caution. It’s one of the least understood fish out there but so beautiful and so friendly. It gently eats right out of my hand without hesitation. You’ll see her eating algae in this video. These are slow growing fish and the dwarfs NEVER touch live corals. I have also spoken with other owners and this fish NEVER touches anyone’s else’s corals either, just algae.

@Maritimer has discussed the Quoyi several times.
I did not know it came in a dwarf size. What is the final max size?

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Maritimer has discussed the Quoyi several times.
I did not know it came in a dwarf size. What is the final max size?

If I'm in the hobby for less than 10 years, I may never find out the max size because they grow so slowly. I bought my 5" dwarf quoyi and a small 2"ish powder blue tang the same month last year (Sept). The powder blue has more than doubled in size and probably tripled in weight during this time while the quoyi still looks to be about the same size as the day I got him. The google stats are out there but they don't tell you how many years they live or how long it takes for them to mature to full size. For all we know, it could take 15 years to grow to full size. The dwarf quoyi can give you many years of enjoyment and is a fish that needs an appropriately sized tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC89E0C1-9005-467B-B50E-8F52F1ED31F3.jpeg
Niger Trigger Here. Got this Beast as a juvenile like 2 inches big. He now tops off from Ribbon Banner Tail To Nose 8 in. His name is Tyrone and has been a Model Reef Citizen.[/QUOTENigimpressive! Nigers are impressive - your Niger is particularly pretty.

chap34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angel! Never touches coral
Blue Toby Puffer on the other hand, LOVED expensive Zoas...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Copperband and Potters angel
copperband2.png

potter4.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back