Which Algae is this?

shiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

Got some algae issues. But before I go ahead and do something about it I wanted to ask your help to identify the algae, so I am 100% sure.

I think it’s green and red Cyano bacteria. But will be great if you can please help.

Tank is about 3 months old.

Cheers,
Shiv

1547A400-F8CC-4257-8F15-7D6B4B2C5E13.jpeg A6638DD6-A581-4D26-ADED-CDA01620BD09.jpeg D0EE014C-6924-4DD3-B668-4C0741A04117.jpeg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about the green, but the red looks like Cyano.

waleedreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cyano called blue green slime algae. pink as well.. you have 2 types of cyano,

"Cyano is bacteria which require light and phosphate and it like spots where no much water movement. manual removal everyday will help to limit the presence of cyano. Cyano caused due to imbalance of nutrient import and export going on. To solve this, you need to increase the power of gyres, manual remove, fix GFO to remove phosphate till 0.05. start adding carbon dosing such as NOPOX. If this not work, you need to start the antibiotic product called chemiclean.

As you know that all the main causes of algae are phosphate, nitrate and other trace elements not in the right range. If you have algae issues means your sump set up require modification or re-installation.

I will tell you successful sump installation from successful people:

1- Water coming from flow box to first room where you have RowaPhos, bio pellets and Rowacarbon reactors.
2- Water going from room 1 to room 2 : Strong Protein skimmer ( bubble king skimmer, OCTO. etc)
3- Water going from room 2 to 3: return pump + Strong UV Light (Pentair, Deltec) + chiller
4- Make sure all 33 trace elements are in the right range by doing triton test and dose as necessary.
5- Maintain high alkalinity to to prevent low PH. PH 8.4 can prevent life rock from leaching stored phosphate.

Note: you need to fix manifold pipe for UV, chiller,return pump and reactors. 99.9% water should pass UV before going back to aquarium and installation guide shown in the manual. Also fix flow gauge to know how much gallon per minute to match the UV requirements.

Also remember to cure your rock for 2 months or once phosphate stop rising before adding to new tank. This will prevent any algae issues in future.

What i want to tell you is not only focusing on medication to cure algae. First, fix your sump correctly."

OP
OP
S

shiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

I know I overfed my tank as I was trying to get my banggai cardinal eating. Didn’t see it eat at all and today he is gone to fish heaven.

So, to sort out the cyano issue I am thinking of doing the below:

- use a toothbrush to remove the algae on the rock. Do a 25% water change. Then after a day add in “Green Cyano Rx” which is like Chemi clean to the tank ( and follow instructions)

thoughts???

waleedreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

I know I overfed my tank as I was trying to get my banggai cardinal eating. Didn’t see it eat at all and today he is gone to fish heaven.

So, to sort out the cyano issue I am thinking of doing the below:

- use a toothbrush to remove the algae on the rock. Do a 25% water change. Then after a day add in “Green Cyano Rx” which is like Chemi clean to the tank ( and follow instructions)

thoughts???

yes that's great. can you tell us what your sump consist of?

OP
OP
S

shiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13 gallon fluval evo. So things are a little simple. Filter floss, phos guard, bio media and stock return pump and light (5 hours a day)

only have 2 clown fish and good amount of algae :))

Nitrates are very low: 5 approx
Ammonia and nitrites: 0
Ph: approx 8ish. goes up and down though

I used conditioned tap water before (my bad I know) and then algae started appearing. But since then I have switched to RODI water that I get from LFS. So I am hoping after cleaning the rock and dosing with algae remover and continuing using RODI I should be able to get rid of algae.

waleedreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13 gallon fluval evo. So things are a little simple. Filter floss, phos guard, bio media and stock return pump and light (5 hours a day)

only have 2 clown fish and good amount of algae :))

Nitrates are very low: 5 approx
Ammonia and nitrites: 0
Ph: approx 8ish. goes up and down though

I used conditioned tap water before (my bad I know) and then algae started appearing. But since then I have switched to RODI water that I get from LFS. So I am hoping after cleaning the rock and dosing with algae remover and continuing using RODI I should be able to get rid of algae.

PO4 and lack of flow can induce it. (while NO3 is low) what we mentioned in the previous comment as well as a good strong skimmer will deal with it. try to switch to rowaphos which is stronger to remove phosphate. Also try to fix UV to sterilize cyano bacteria. after you confirmed phosphate level is super low,, you can start chemiclean or Red X.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back