Which fish to get

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to get a pair of cardinal fish, and 4 chromis, and switch out the six line wrase?
If it was me, I would try my luck and keep the six-line wrasse in with the rest. As long as there's enough turf for everyone, I think it could be fine. Of course, if you see too much aggression or bullying, be prepared for that and know what your plan is should that come to pass. Cardinals are very slow, methodical swimmers, so you wanna make sure they're not going to get pummeled.

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion. I'd say no. You have 2 clownfish. And they might get along with them at first, but the clowns will most likely be territorial. Also Chromis are hit and miss for fighting amongst themselves. You'd probably want to either get 1 chromis or at least 7 to make sure they can distribute aggression (some people have success however, but for this size of tank it might not last).
So would I be able to get a pair of cardinal fish, and a fire fish goby?

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion. I'd say no. You have 2 clownfish. And they might get along with them at first, but the clowns will most likely be territorial. Also Chromis are hit and miss for fighting amongst themselves. You'd probably want to either get 1 chromis or at least 7 to make sure they can distribute aggression (some people have success however, but for this size of tank it might not las
I’d take a six line over chromis and cardinal fish, but that’s just me.
What if I just add a pair of cardinal fish and fire goby and keep what I have so far?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I just add a pair of cardinal fish and fire goby and keep what I have so far?

Then you would have 3 fish that you rarely see and 1 of them is an EXTREME jump risk.. Hope you have a good tight fitting top on your tank. How about a couple damsels? I would go with a couple small yellow tails and a Talbot's.

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with 2-3 Blue/Green Chormis. They will give you some movement in the mid to upper water column.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the chromis?
For now yes. It is not recommended to add more than double the fish load on every addition so your tank bacteria can adapt. Trust me, you will love the Chromis, I have 4 in my tank and they are all over the place.

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the chromis?
For now yes. It is not recommended to add more than double the fish load on every addition so your tank bacteria can adapt. Trust me, you will love the Chromis, I have 4 in my tank and they are all over the place.
Would I be able to add 4 instead of 3? Also could I keep what I have so far?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I add those fish soon, it has been almost a month since I’ve added fish. But I did add new rock yesterday.
I think you could. A month is more than enough time for the tank bacteria to adapt to the givin load.

Just make sure, if you will not QT the Chromis, that you get them from a respectable vendor, as they are notorious for Uronema, which will wipe out a tank in a few days.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I add those fish soon, it has been almost a month since I’ve added fish. But I did add new rock yesterday.
I would say you can add fish soon. I have added fish months apart and they were fine with eachother.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that should work. Firefish are very hardy, as long as they have a little "bolt hole"/home in the rocks.
I do not have cardinal experience, but I have done a lot of research since I've been thinking of getting some, but they should be fine. Cardinalfish are only aggressive with each other.
There's a small chance the wrasse will pick on the firefish, but not for sure. Once firefish get well established, and have a little territory they actually can hold their own a bit (in my experience keeping a purple one).
All Dartfish are pretty cool in my opinion.

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that should work. Firefish are very hardy, as long as they have a little "bolt hole"/home in the rocks.
I do not have cardinal experience, but I have done a lot of research since I've been thinking of getting some, but they should be fine. Cardinalfish are only aggressive with each other.
There's a small chance the wrasse will pick on the firefish, but not for sure. Once firefish get well established, and have a little territory they actually can hold their own a bit (in my experience keeping a purple one).
All Dartfish are pretty cool in my opinion.
I might just add a fire fish and some chromis and that’s about it. What do you think.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back