Which fish to get

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think as long as the fish you add are as big as the six line or bigger you should be fine, maybe just as aggressive or more but think it’s hit or miss there. Body shape may be a factor to consider as well as color and patterns.

All depends on the personality of the fish, my six line is 2.5-3” big and definitely male but doesn’t bother anyone in the tank but he’s in with a pair of blood orange clowns and a coral beauty angel.

Never had fire fish but want to say I’ve read of other people having issues mixing the two. Seems highly possible to have issues adding the fire fish after the six line. Wouldn’t think it would bother the chromis but not sure I would buy multiple, they tend to pick each other off especially in small tanks from what I read.

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think as long as the fish you add are as big as the six line or bigger you should be fine, maybe just as aggressive or more but think it’s hit or miss there. Body shape may be a factor to consider as well as color and patterns.

All depends on the personality of the fish, my six line is 2.5-3” big and definitely male but doesn’t bother anyone in the tank but he’s in with a pair of blood orange clowns and a coral beauty angel.

Never had fire fish but want to say I’ve read of other people having issues mixing the two. Seems highly possible to have issues adding the fire fish after the six line. Wouldn’t think it would bother the chromis but not sure I would buy multiple, they tend to pick each other off especially in small tanks from what I read.
Yeah I’m still stumped on which fish to add.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pygmy angelfish would be really nice. A pair of bangaii cardinals will help take up the top half off the tank but be aware they are not very active during the day.

Chromis often seem to have uronema. My LFS just got some and literally had the marks already forming in the shipping bag. Not something I would personally add to my tank.

Add any peaceful fish before a pygmy angel.
1633320997739.png

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pygmy angelfish would be really nice. A pair of bangaii cardinals will help take up the top half off the tank but be aware they are not very active during the day.

Chromis often seem to have uronema. My LFS just got some and literally had the marks already forming in the shipping bag. Not something I would personally add to my tank.

Add any peaceful fish before a pygmy angel.
1633320997739.png
Yeah I want to fill up the top half, and add little more attraction on the bottom half. If I do get the cardinals should I get them small? I want fish that pop under the light.

Last edited:

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for captive bred if you do go for the cardinals, the wild ones are difficult to feed. Although I will second that the cardinals aren’t very active. Not a ton of movement during the day, the few time I had blues on at night I noticed they swam all over though. Pajama cardinals might be another option, would allow you to do more than 2, I had 5 at one time no issue with the six line either.

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for captive bred if you do go for the cardinals, the wild ones are difficult to feed. Although I will second that the cardinals aren’t very active. Not a ton of movement during the day, the few time I had blues on at night I noticed they swam all over though. Pajama cardinals might be another option, would allow you to do more than 2, I had 5 at one time no issue with the six line either.
Any recommendations for top half fish.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a small dwarf angel, like a flameback or Pygmy. I’m sure they could handle the sixline aggression pretty well.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banggai seemed to be up and down but more towards the top half of the tank, pajamas stuck in the top of the tank and seem to prefer a decent group size. I’ve tried a pair and a group of 5

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I question if the the 37 tall would be enough swimming room for a dwarf angel, hopefully someone with more experience with them will add their input on that one.

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banggai seemed to be up and down but more towards the top half of the tank, pajamas stuck in the top of the tank and seem to prefer a decent group size. I’ve tried a pair and a group of 5
Are there any other type of top half fish. But the pygmy angel does look good.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I question if the the 37 tall would be enough swimming room for a dwarf angel, hopefully someone with more experience with them will add their input on that one.
I think it would be fine for a Pygmy, I have a couple and they seem ok

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing I can think of off hand, going off of what I have had. I’m sure there are other options, Pygmy angel is probably the safest bet for the tank size. My coral beauty swims every bit of my 30 gallon, planning a bigger tank for it later.

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be fine for a Pygmy, I have a couple and they seem ok
Nothing I can think of off hand, going off of what I have had. I’m sure there are other options, Pygmy angel is probably the safest bet for the tank size. My coral beauty swims every bit of my 30 gallon, planning a bigger tank for it later.
I might just get a Pygmy and a pair of cardinals and leave it alone. I am going to give my tank another month for corals.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I want to fill up the top half, and add little more attraction on the bottom half. If I do get the cardinals should I get them small? I want fish that pop under the light.

Get captive bred ones. The wild ones can be tricky.

The angel has a lighter neon blue running around the edge of its fins and it certainly pops. Max size is around 3 inches.

image_066dc093-e2ce-4b02-9c94-3a6c2f890011.jpg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want something to fill up the top:
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, filled with colour and stay 2-3”. Only issue would be the established six line hating the other wrasse

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with most of suggestions and highlight the importance of QT of any chromis you plan to add as the uronema is really a frequent issue with them. But I really warn you against Gobiodon okinawae that has been suggested several times. Its a nice, small and peaceful fish, but dont trust anybody who tells you that its reef safe! I had one and it was nipping my acroporas. His natural behavior is to spend most of time in acropora branches, which is OK with large colonies. But smaller colonies or frags can really be irritated and could even start to develop tissue necrosis. However, if you dont plan to keep acros (and maybe even other SPS corals), go for it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back