Which fish to get

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, could I get help on any stocking ideas for my tank. It is a 37 gallon tall. It currently has 2 clown fish, six line wrasse and a coral banded shrimp. This is how my tank looks like currently.

AB5183B3-3E98-4F68-8AD0-1A3E0401DA51.jpeg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, could I get help on any stocking ideas for my tank. It is a 37 gallon tall. It currently has 2 clown fish, six line wrasse and a coral banded shrimp. This is how my tank looks like currently.

AB5183B3-3E98-4F68-8AD0-1A3E0401DA51.jpeg
Having a 6line already, it may not allow new fish to the system.
Great time to introduce a copperband. Make sure you see it eating very well at the LFS before you buy.

F1FA9DBC-0997-4861-8CEA-B1D63150B668.jpeg
Isn't that too big for a 37g?
I don't know much about stocking fish with a 6 line wrasse, I have bad experiences with them. Even though I only had 1.
However, firefish, gobies, small geometric hawkfish Only ones I can think of.
Geometric_Pygmy_Perchlet.jpg

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a few cardinalfish (or other 3"-ish fish), and beef up your CUC. I wouldn't do much beyond that in a 37 gal, though.

As @Mibu said, though, I'm not sure about the additions post-wrasse. There could be some aggression since there isn't a lot of real estate in the tank. /shrug YMMV :)

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a 6line already, it may not allow new fish to the system.

Isn't that too big for a 37g?
I don't know much about stocking fish with a 6 line wrasse, I have bad experiences with them. Even though I only had 1.
However, firefish, gobies, small geometric hawkfish Only ones I can think of.
Geometric_Pygmy_Perchlet.jpg
I previously had a 34 gallon with my copperband. All depends on how many and what type of fish you want.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great time to introduce a copperband. Make sure you see it eating very well at the LFS before you buy.

F1FA9DBC-0997-4861-8CEA-B1D63150B668.jpeg
Because of them being known to get 8”+ in the wild I recommend against this unless you’re prepared to get a 2” one and upgrade the tank to a 180 by the end of it. Mine is in a 4x2x2 and he’s only 2.5” but he uses every inch of the tank.
I recommend if you wanted something that’s more out and about then go for a small wrasse such as a Lubbock’s and swap it out with the Sixline. If you want a pest eating wrasse though then the more peacefully behaved wrasse is a Pseudochelinops ataenia.
Other fish I recommend are:
- Blennies (Avoid the Midas, they’re very active)
- Almost any goby (Catalinas are cold water, be warned)
- The calmer dottybacks (Not the royal as said above)
And I think that’s all I can name off the top of my head for that size tank

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of them being known to get 8”+ in the wild I recommend against this unless you’re prepared to get a 2” one and upgrade the tank to a 180 by the end of it. Mine is in a 4x2x2 and he’s only 2.5” but he uses every inch of the tank.
I recommend if you wanted something that’s more out and about then go for a small wrasse such as a Lubbock’s and swap it out with the Sixline. If you want a pest eating wrasse though then the more peacefully behaved wrasse is a Pseudochelinops ataenia.
Agreed. I have 2 clowns, and orchid dottyback, a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse, a yellow watchman goby (who spends all of his time in a cave), and a few chromis in my 40B.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I have 2 clowns, and orchid dottyback, a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse, a yellow watchman goby (who spends all of his time in a cave), and a few chromis in my 40B.
Honestly, in a 40 that’s a nice range of fish - My dream tank is to have a wrasse only with like 2 other fish (A goby and a Blenny, for obvious reasons)

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a few cardinalfish (or other 3"-ish fish), and beef up your CUC. I wouldn't do much beyond that in a 37 gal, though.

As @Mibu said, though, I'm not sure about the additions post-wrasse. There could be some aggression since there isn't a lot of real estate in the tank. /shrug YMMV :)
I’m really not good with aquascaping :(.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would I be able to get like 4 chromis for my tank?
Yeah, I think that would work well. I actually got four initially, but one got sucked into my HOB skimmer and died, and the other got stressed when I had to do an emergency tear down. Now I've got one healthy, active chromis, and another who is kinda limping along.

I've heard a lot of people say that they kill each other until it whittles down to whatever number (even just one) they'll allow in their community. So it's a bit of a crap shoot...silver lining is that they're cheap. :/

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add some Zebra Bar Gobies/Dartfish (they do better with 2 or more). Only if you have a lid though, and places for them to hide. I suggest these over firefish since they will handle aggression better since they are usually are shoaling. Also there are blennies, cleaner gobies, or cardinalfish. As long as whatever you get doesn't get bullied by your existing fish then you good.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget inch, make it millimetre, he really does need the space (Yes I have sexed him and he showed male).

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would I be able to get like 4 chromis for my tank?
In my opinion. I'd say no. You have 2 clownfish. And they might get along with them at first, but the clowns will most likely be territorial. Also Chromis are hit and miss for fighting amongst themselves. You'd probably want to either get 1 chromis or at least 7 to make sure they can distribute aggression (some people have success however, but for this size of tank it might not last).

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would I be able to get a pair of cardinal fish, and 4 chromis, and switch out the six line wrase?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back