OP
OP
Currdawg12

Currdawg12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't have any heat from T5s unless you have a closed-up tight canopy... and even then, heat from a LED panel can be a problem since they give off heat too. Yes, you just turn T5 off and on - your tank does not need any light at night... this is for the reefer not the reef. If you are most worried about shadowing, then get a T5 system... this is one area where they excel.

T5s will not really have any shimmer and you cannot play with them other than changing bulb colors - some people like to change things from a iOS app on their couch, but others will swear that this ability is the downside of LEDs since people just won't leave them alone.

Aquatic Life has Hybrid systems that can house a LED panel of your choice and also 2 or 4 T5 bulbs. These are very popular for people who have puck-style LEDs, were good at their craft and now have shadows. They are also popular for people who have reached the ceiling with SPS color with LEDs and need more spectrum to push through to the next level.

If you are contemplating spending Radion money, then look at Orphek Atlantik V4... it is the best LED on the market, IMO, and what I would use if somebody forced me to.

Thank you guys so much! Y’all have helped a ton!

OP
OP
Currdawg12

Currdawg12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 x vortex MP 10's. Now that the corals are grown in, it's still not enough. If you are on a budget and cannot spend on the vortex pumps, check out the Tunze nano stream products. They are also excellent.

Given you stated you have a lighting budget of $300, I would recommend checking out a Reefbreeder Photon for the LED option ( I think the one that fit my tank was around $350). In my experience, the photons had great coverage. I agree with the above user that T5's can be an option for you as well, and with proper ventilation, heat may very well be a non- issue. Just keep in mind, they will require an ongoing cost of bulb replacement, you will have to use a timer, and contend with lack of shimmer, etc. Additionally, the best frequency of bulb replacement is still very much debated.

I strongly agree with the above user that the controllability of the LED's can definitely be a drawback, from the standpoint that people tend to constantly play around with the LED's due to the slider bars on the apps, etc. I think in one of the BRS videos, they stated something along the lines that you cannot be constantly playing around with the animal's life support by adjusting the LEDS based solely on visual appeal, and things looking "cool", rather than selecting a lighting schedule based on proper PAR and SPECTRUM. With that said, if you do go the LED route, do your research and select an appropriate schedule based on PAR and spectrum, and then set it and forget it. Stability is key.

Thank you for your input!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back