Which light colour is best for corals!

Corals.com

Bpb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
These types of threads are literally the chief reason I keep checking forums. Very entertaining.

FacebookJail

View Badges
Reaction score
Bluer spectrum with moderate to heavy actinic supplementation if you want to pull the best colors, whiter spectrums might produce faster growth though. I personally go for best colors.

I have found that a degree of white is required for some corals to color up properly. Example: When I was just running Blue+ and Pure actinic bulbs over a display, Vivid Rainbow browned out to a degree. A couple months after swapping out one of the Blue+ for a Coral+ it regained full coloration. I noticed similar effects with a couple encrusting montiporas as well.

Bpb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
6 months now and my vivid rainbow is still solid brown. No luck with this one

OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Bluer spectrum with moderate to heavy actinic supplementation if you want to pull the best colors, whiter spectrums might produce faster growth though. I personally go for best colors.

I have found that a degree of white is required for some corals to color up properly. Example: When I was just running Blue+ and Pure actinic bulbs over a display, Vivid Rainbow browned out to a degree. A couple months after swapping out one of the Blue+ for a Coral+ it regained full coloration. I noticed similar effects with a couple encrusting montiporas as well.
Thank you very much

Bpb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Another note. I find it amusing that in this thread and in many others, you have two groups of people among the many.
A: blue lighting is for growth and whites are only for our viewing enjoyment
B: white lighting is for growth and blues and just for our viewing enjoyment.

Both very adamant on being right, with data to support. Some swearing that 20000k bulbs and blue heavy led settings will yield the most dramatic growth, others swearing those colors will yield sluggish growth in comparison to 6500k and 10000k.

Funny

FacebookJail

View Badges
Reaction score
Another note. I find it amusing that in this thread and in many others, you have two groups of people among the many.

Both very adamant on being right, with data to support. Some swearing that 20000k bulbs and blue heavy led settings will yield the most dramatic growth, others swearing those colors will yield sluggish growth in comparison to 6500k and 10000k.

Funny
Until reading this thread I have never encountered (A), (B) has been much more consistent.

Bpb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Until reading this thread I have never encountered (A), (B) has been much more consistent.
Yeah B is the more classic viewpoint but A is exploding in popularity recently

Backreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
My own experience is . I put 2 t5 lights one in front and one behind my black box , both 10000k coralife growth and appearance were meh . I switch the 10000k bulbs for 2 blue + bulbs and growth and appearance both improved alot . It showed me the light . All else the same .

Get Fish & Corals directly for the suppliers

[email protected]

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score

Funny
Can't they both be right!? ;Smuggrin ;Bookworm ;Brb

jda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Nearly every coral in your tank is collected on one breath and will have nearly the same sunlight at 2 feet. This is a 6500k spectrum. This looks pretty yellow, so even though it is best for growth and actual color, you will likely want to blue-it-up for illumination to look at the corals.

There are few single lights that can both render color and illuminate color well - a few different types of halides. Some LEDs can do Ok with a few different programs using different diodes. You need a mix of T5 bulbs to do this too.

OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Nearly every coral in your tank is collected on one breath and will have nearly the same sunlight at 2 feet. This is a 6500k spectrum. This looks pretty yellow, so even though it is best for growth and actual color, you will likely want to blue-it-up for illumination to look at the corals.

There are few single lights that can both render color and illuminate color well - a few different types of halides. Some LEDs can do Ok with a few different programs using different diodes. You need a mix of T5 bulbs to do this too.
Very good point

Get Fish & Corals directly for the suppliers
Triton Marine Aquaculture
TCK Corals