Which Nano Skimmer do I get?

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! So I've finally convinced myself into getting a skimmer for my 32 gallon biocube. Wondering which ones you guys would recommend? I've kind of narrowed it down to the Comlime 9001 and the Eshopps nano skimmer, but I'm open to more options! Just want something that works well and is quiet. Looking to spend around $120ishhh.

Thank you!!!!

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! So I've finally convinced myself into getting a skimmer for my 32 gallon biocube. Wondering which ones you guys would recommend? I've kind of narrowed it down to the Comlime 9001 and the Eshopps nano skimmer, but I'm open to more options! Just want something that works well and is quiet. Looking to spend around $120ishhh.

Thank you!!!!

I use a 9001 dc with the in tank media basket. I have been very happy. I also have a reef octopus nano in another BioCube and have been very happy for the price. Either way I would strongly recommend an ATO this seriously helps with keeping your skimmer tuned.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 9001 dc with the in tank media basket. I have been very happy. I also have a reef octopus nano in another BioCube and have been very happy for the price. Either way I would strongly recommend an ATO this seriously helps with keeping your skimmer tuned.
Thank you! Would either one of those skimmers fit in the 1st chamber? I do have an ATO already :p

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been down this road in 2 seperate Biocube tanks. My current thread you will see a modified Biocube stock skimmer that I am using now.
I have had a tunze, aquatic life 115, and reef octo HOB in the past.
Anything not in chamber 1 will give you tuning issues, even with the most sensitive ATO chamber 2 will move 1/2" water level at times and thats enough to mess things up.
The 115 was too noisy for me personally.
The biocube moded skimmer works great but replacing the airstone monthly is not fun. This skimmer is basically silent and keeps enough room for probes in that chamber.
I wanted to try the Hydro Slim Nano but it really restricts the flow and with an MJ1200 return that bothers me.
I am happy with the biocube after a simple mod but wish the airstone laated longer, it works amazing after changing the stone but after 2 weeks it starts to be less effective as the bubble size increases.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been down this road in 2 seperate Biocube tanks. My current thread you will see a modified Biocube stock skimmer that I am using now.
I have had a tunze, aquatic life 115, and reef octo HOB in the past.
Anything not in chamber 1 will give you tuning issues, even with the most sensitive ATO chamber 2 will move 1/2" water level at times and thats enough to mess things up.
The 115 was too noisy for me personally.
The biocube moded skimmer works great but replacing the airstone monthly is not fun. This skimmer is basically silent and keeps enough room for probes in that chamber.
I wanted to try the Hydro Slim Nano but it really restricts the flow and with an MJ1200 return that bothers me.
I am happy with the biocube after a simple mod but wish the airstone laated longer, it works amazing after changing the stone but after 2 weeks it starts to be less effective as the bubble size increases.

I agree with this I have used the 115 in the past and it was loud but it also seemed to require frequent cleaning. The 9001 skims well enough for me though it may be that due to water fluctuations it is only actually skimming some of the time. At the end of the day it is the lowest maintenance solution I have found and it still pulls out plenty. I actually think air stone skimmers as a whole perform very very well they just require more maintenance than other skimmers. It all comes down to how much time you want to spend with your skimmer.

EHerbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 3/4 years I have tried several different skimmers for my Biocube and have not been completely satisfied. However, I recently purchased the Icecap K1 Nano protein skimmer. I'm still dialing it in but I am happy with it so far. It fits in the first chamber, is easy to adjust to your water level and flow rate, it's very quiet, provides micro bubbles and produces dark skimmate almost immediately and it actually looks like a skimmer for larger systems. And, you can't beat the price... $90 bucks. Give it a shot.

ic_k1_nanoskimmer_1__98810.1517598074.190.285.jpg

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last 3/4 years I have tried several different skimmers for my Biocube and have not been completely satisfied. However, I recently purchased the Icecap K1 Nano protein skimmer. I'm still dialing it in but I am happy with it so far. It fits in the first chamber, is easy to adjust to your water level and flow rate, it's very quiet, provides micro bubbles and produces dark skimmate almost immediately and it actually looks like a skimmer for larger systems. And, you can't beat the price... $90 bucks. Give it a shot.

can you tell me how far above the water level the top of the cup sits. So from the water to top clearance? Was looking at this but have the lower LED lid on the rear chamber and didn't think it would clear

EHerbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you tell me how far above the water level the top of the cup sits. So from the water to top clearance? Was looking at this but have the lower LED lid on the rear chamber and didn't think it would clear

The orange line is the support bracket. The green line is the main column that can be adjusted up/down. Mine sits about where the black line is leaving about 4/6 inches above the top of the glass. If you have the filter area covered it probably won't work. I've removed that cover and upgraded the lights. The second pic shows my old skimmer and the K1 sits higher than that.

20180509_044804.jpg

20180509_045704.jpg

The River

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orange line is the support bracket. The green line is the main column that can be adjusted up/down. Mine sits about where the black line is leaving about 4/6 inches above the top of the glass. If you have the filter area covered it probably won't work. I've removed that cover and upgraded the lights. The second pic shows my old skimmer and the K1 sits higher than that.

20180509_044804.jpg

20180509_045704.jpg
thank you for that info!

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I might have to do a little research on this guy! It'll fit in the first chamber?

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a recommendation for what you should get but I do have a suggestion for what you shouldn't get. Don't get the hydor slim skim nano. I had so many problems with it, loud, weak pump, etc and when I had it in my tank it was broken more often than it was running, and parts and pumps are nearly impossible to find. Finally tossed it and got something better. Right now Im running the aquamaxx insump ws1 skimmer but I had to cut a baffle out of the back of my tank to make it fit (jbj 30 cube)

GSPClown94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a recommendation for what you should get but I do have a suggestion for what you shouldn't get. Don't get the hydor slim skim nano. I had so many problems with it, loud, weak pump, etc and when I had it in my tank it was broken more often than it was running, and parts and pumps are nearly impossible to find. Finally tossed it and got something better. Right now Im running the aquamaxx insump ws1 skimmer but I had to cut a baffle out of the back of my tank to make it fit (jbj 30 cube)
I agree I am really disappointed with the Hydor slim skim nano, the overall quality of parts seems cheap and not very well designed. Luckily it hasn't broken yet but it still produces a ton of micro bubbles months after setting it up and does a terrible job at surface skimming.

Rattzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you looked into a reefglass skimmer?.. you need an air pump but they do work pretty well. I have one in my 10g currently and am pleased with the performance. you need a separate air pump and container to catch the skimmate,also have to replace the limewood airstones every 3-4 months but they really aren't expensive and easy to switch out.. plus the footprints is about 3"x 1 1/2". something to look into.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you looked into a reefglass skimmer?.. you need an air pump but they do work pretty well. I have one in my 10g currently and am pleased with the performance. you need a separate air pump and container to catch the skimmate,also have to replace the limewood airstones every 3-4 months but they really aren't expensive and easy to switch out.. plus the footprints is about 3"x 1 1/2". something to look into.
That's the one I was going to go with but I thought it would've been too small for the 32:confused:

MushFarmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!!!!
I've got a 29 biocube. I just made a DIY skimmer outta a plastic bottle and one of those wooden air stones. Works great for $25!

hagenk17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know this post is old but how did you manage to get yours to fit in the first chamber? Having trouble getting mine set up

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!!!!
I’m running the Aquamaxx NF-1 in my Nanocube, and its kind of a beast. It is silent, easily adjustable, has zero micro bubbles, and most importantly produces a good amount of skim (you can easily adjust it to get wet or dry skimmate). My only complaint is that the cup is pretty small, but otherwise it’s a fantastic nano/aio skimmer. I used to have a biocube (still have it but it’s not running), and had the cpr skimmer that was made to fit it and man that thing was LOUD, it worked okay, but I couldn’t run it at night even being in my living room it was that loud. Anyway, I’m totally impressed with the NF-1, should easily fit in a biocube (the chambers in the Nanocube are much smaller).

Back