Which ORA Clownfish should I get?

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,
I'm trying to decide on which kind of clownfish I should get. Definitely a ocellaris or peruca, but what color variation? I'm looking for something that isn't just the basic ocellaris, but also one that isn't too over the top/expensive.

I like the coloration of the Blood Orange Clownfish, but they are a little pricey and can be somewhat aggressive since they are bred with maroon clownfish.

Any suggestions?

I'm ordering them from ORA through my LFS.

ZachsZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my 2 clowns from sustainable aquatics. I got a black ice and Wyoming white for only 15$ each!!!
6ad2081380848cdb3cacf67b2245b60f.jpg

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of true percula clowns from ORA/LiveAquaria. My advice: don't worry about the price. If you're in it for the long haul, you're going to have these fish for a long time. Personally, I would not spend hundreds of dollars on a single pair of fish, but within reason, I think it's worth it to pay for more to get what you want (but that's just me).

Pick what you like. The fish I have are beautiful and I love them, but I would prefer a bit more black coloration. I'm more into a normal amount of white stripes with a bit more than normal black. I would have gone with an onyx pair or a WYSIWYG pair with more black. But, that's just me.

IMG_20161226_143646 cropped.jpg

Ron Popeil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of true percula clowns from ORA/LiveAquaria. My advice: don't worry about the price. If you're in it for the long haul, you're going to have these fish for a long time. Personally, I would not spend hundreds of dollars on a single pair of fish, but within reason, I think it's worth it to pay for more to get what you want (but that's just me).

Pick what you like. The fish I have are beautiful and I love them, but I would prefer a bit more black coloration. I'm more into a normal amount of white stripes with a bit more than normal black. I would have gone with an onyx pair or a WYSIWYG pair with more black. But, that's just me.

IMG_20161226_143646 cropped.jpg

Im pretty sure all ORA True Percula fill in with a lot more black, borderline onyx, as they mature. How long have you had yours?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure all ORA True Percula fill in with a lot more black, borderline onyx, as they mature. How long have you had yours?

I hope so. I've had them about 1.5 years. They're just under 3" and haven't grown or developed much since I received them. I also don't think either one has become the dominant female. They're both the exact same size. Maybe the sexual maturity is what causes the coloration to develop. We'll see!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back