Which salt to use

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone. For years I have used instant oceans regular reef salt. Is there a benefit to using Reed crystals instead? Will it hurt anything if I change to them? I can afford some of the more expensive salt brand or id swap to Red Sea:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals has higher major elements like Calcium and Magnesium. It may be better for you over Instant Ocean if you have stoney corals. If you only have soft corals the higher levels will not benefit you. They are both good salts and cheap.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just switched away from instant ocean sea salt. I am working on balanceing my parameters so that I can have more success with coral, and so I chose the salt that best matched the parameters I was going for ( fritz rpm blue box ). My advice would be look around at some different salts, see what parameters they mix at, and choose the one that fits your needs best!

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you find that you need elevated Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium levels? Generally, that's the reason for switching. If you're happy with the levels IO is providing there really isn't a reason to switch to Reef Crystals.

As for other brands it really all comes down to the levels you want out of your mix and personal preference. Some salts are sold as a higher "grade" than IO products meaning they are a little more stringent on ingredients which can be beneficial for some.

Personally, I chose my mix simply because I have a large mixing container and am lazy. In being lazy, I don't want to clean my container, so I chose a mix that keeps it clean :)

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with the regular IO and dose anything you need. There is no reason to switch.
That’s currently what I do and everything is doing fine. i dose one TSP of essential elements and another additive I can’t remember the name or every Wednesday.

I have soft and stony corals. My stony corals are growing like crazy with the current salt mix. i just didn’t know if it was worth switching since they’re about the same price and if it would hurt anything if I did.

My hammer is actually budding for the first time in addition to splitting and growing stalks so I’m super excited. These are my two tanks. That cristata has split into three main heads each with three smaller ones inside a year of me having it.

Edit: added a close up of my cristata. Phone decided to add a torch

777F5787-0BC8-4F63-8F4C-C6D31810498A.jpeg 0D523BB2-D4DC-43CE-9179-1701D5D59BE0.jpeg 47C3F2D5-833B-4876-9B78-CA424647A33F.jpeg 6CCFA311-A690-42E4-882E-27486AEFD817.jpeg AF10BA87-BEC3-4B6C-853A-62D6FA5B77E0.jpeg

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO purple bucket has served me well for 15+ years. Tried reef crystals once but didn't like the brown crud it left in my mixing barrels. Numerous accounts of extremely successful reef tanks running reg IO

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was using esv for a long time
switched to red sea blue bucket
after looking into the pail
i am back to esv for good

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blah, blah, blah...............My stony corals are growing like crazy with the current salt mix. .....blah, blah, blah and blah.

You've answered your own question in your statement above. No need to change if everything is working.

I'm an IO purple box user and dose alk and calc. Regardless of the salt, once you have a decent amount of hard corals, you'll have to dose. Water changes will not keep up with alk and calc consumption.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO regular. I have 6 clams. I do two part dosing and dose elements . I have done this for over 6 years. I am with the others if it is not broke do not fix it. Test mag, calcium, and alk for sure.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regular IO is a really good salt, I have been using it go almost 50 years. I’ve tried other salts along the way , but for cost I come back to it and don’t plan on changing. I also use reef RC. I mix 24 hours prior to water change and then clean mixing barrel. No issues with the slight brown staining if you wipe down with clean R O water

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one time I used Red Sea Coral Pro and it worked great never any issues. As my system got bigger and salt costs increased I started trying other salt mixes. In my experience at least I have never seen a noticeable difference based off the salt mix I used (luckily never tried TM Turkey salt :) ). Now I usually wait for a really good sale and buy several of whatever it is that is on sale. This usually means I am getting IO, fritz, or sometimes Red Sea blue. Still never had any issue based off the salt mix. If I was not dosing then I may be more inclined to make sure I am using a high alk salt for example, but as it is I just go with the cheap

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back