White blob. Need an ID.

TheFishTickler

View Badges
Reaction score
I've had my tank for about 1 1/2 years, never had any problems. I have a rock flower anenome, spiny star snails, blue leg hermits, clownfish and an short spines urchin.
My pump transformer exploded about a month and a half ago. Killed my emerald crab, shrimp, zoas and I've had problems ever since. Now I have a bunch of these vermetid worms popping out and this weird blob thing. I tried looking it up but I haven't had much luck. Not much of anything useful comes up under white blob...help! Lol
Question 1
What is that white blob thing?
Question 2
Will replacing the rock get rid of the vermetid snails?

20210408_161329.jpg 20210408_162519.jpg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

mdb_talon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It is a sponge and nothing to be concerned with. Replacing the rock will obviously eliminate them on that rock, but if there is a good population on it then you likely have some elsewhere also.

OP
TheFishTickler

TheFishTickler

View Badges
Reaction score
It is a sponge and nothing to be concerned with. Replacing the rock will obviously eliminate them on that rock, but if there is a good population on it then you likely have some elsewhere also.
It is hair algae. It grows on that rock like hair on someone's head lol. I put some on the other one cause my crab likes to eat it. He had a hard time getting up there. RIP buddy.
Thanks for the replies. I was worried it was some kind of egg sack that was going to burst and take over. Guess I've been watching to many alien films. Thanks for the responses!!

Maxout

Do you think that live rock is more beneficial in sump than it is in the main display tank?

• In the sump

Votes: 51 13.5%
  • In the display

Votes: 150 39.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 56 14.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 122 32.2%
Champion