White light upsetting corals?

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Nicrew 150w lights with the programmable controller. The lights ramp on at 7 am to 70 % blues at 10 am and then ramp down and a 5% minimum white spectrum so i can enjoy the tank in the evening. When the whites come on some corals , like my torch especially begin to withdraw.

Is it because the lights are nicrew amazon lights? Is this a normal reaction for the corals? I cant use any less white spectrum because 5% is the lowest.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals naturally start closing up as the light cycle winds down. It's like sunset to them followed by night so they are just reacting naturally. 5% light has no affect on them but corals actually do not need white light it is mainly for our viewing pleasure.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your white light coinciding with your ramp down is a coincidence for causing the shrinking. It’s shrinking because it’s preparing for darkness. Torches, hammers, frogspawn and the like tend to shrink down heavily during the dark hours.

ReefDaddyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure natural sun light doesn’t behave in this manner. When your lights are ramping down the corals start to with draw naturally.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back