White mouth moray eel experience

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever happened with your banana eel? Do you have a white mouth now, they are a fang tooth about twice the size as your banana eel. So same rules as any fang tooth, just in a 4' package. At least a 180g if you plan to have fish, only aggressive fish like triggers, large angels, groupers; no lions, and I wouldn't even do tangs. I have seen so many tangs taken down by fang tooths, I don't think it's a good fit.

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever happened with your banana eel? Do you have a white mouth now, they are a fang tooth about twice the size as your banana eel. So same rules as any fang tooth, just in a 4' package. At least a 180g if you plan to have fish, only aggressive fish like triggers, large angels, groupers; no lions, and I wouldn't even do tangs. I have seen so many tangs taken down by fang tooths, I don't think it's a good fit.

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My banana eel passed after not eating for 4 months . I would like another eel but doesn’t sound like a white mouth is the one .

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion King you may have just saved me from making a devastating choice buying a white mouth eel thanks! Maybe I’ll try for a skeletor eel or snowflake? Banana eels are out of price range now.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to you banana eel, correct me, I believe you had him for 2-3 years. Once established unless a devastating event, eels live a very long life. Could you elaborate on his care, was he ever treated with copper or antibiotics? What was his diet; was there a large amount of krill or silversides from the rainbow smelt family? How often did you feed him?

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had him for 3yrs ,it was first fish in my reef tank
I purchased him from Divers Den he ate every 2-3 days (about 1 frozen jumbo gulf shrimp) a week and occasionally live ghost shrimp .He was the easiest fish in my tank to feed until he stopped .I never treated my tank with medication and he had great structure and peaceful tankmates . I can’t figure it out?

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
078B75B5-63C9-43BE-A1D9-3296C1A0034D.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually chemical poisoning wheteher it be from meds or other show up within the year or a bit after. 2-3 years it many times comes down to nutrition. If you are feeding gulf shrimp exclusively, make sure with shells and the fresher the better. Adding other foods would also be good for balanced nutrition, selcon or aminomega and a multi-vit would not be a bad idea either. Feeding their full every 3 days or even longer in between. If there were no shells on that shrimp he could have been deficient in calcium and a number of amino acids and minerals; as well as protein, 1 shrimp doesn't seem like alot for a fish that size. The bones and guts in silversides are also a good source of nutrients, Hikara brand silversides are a variety of fish that do contain thiaminese. If you were to supplement with live feeding, a fang tooth would appreciate a live molly.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back