White spots appear and disappear on wrasse.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 6, 2020
Messages
2,119
Reaction score
1,867
Location
Greenville, SC
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I moved around the rocks today to add some corals and tweak my rockscape. My read head solon fairy wrasse is laying on the sand ever since and is breathing heavy. It is the only fish affected.

I fed the fish twice afterwards and it ate without any hesitation.

I have a six-line wrasse (1"), longfin fairy wrasse (2"), lawnmower blenny (4"), and a new chalk bass(1") who are all doing fine. There are no signs of aggression in the tank. No chasing around.

My parameters are looking good:

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm
Nitrates - Can't really tell from the API test kit, looks 0 to me.

The tank is 3+ months old.

I did a 20% water change today before moving the rocks around.

I see some white spots on the fish's head. I have seen them a few weeks back when this fish got stressed (while adding it to the tank) and it faded away after some time. My camera couldn't do any better.

Under blue lights.

IMG_0623.jpg


Under white lights.

IMG_0625.jpg


White spots.

IMG_0627.jpg


#Fishexperts
 
The fact that the fish ate well after the event is a really good sign - if it was laying on its side due to illness, it wouldn't feed well. I think its just a stress reaction. Possibly, your wrasse got spooked and hit some rocks, that might account for the spots. Fish handle stress in different ways. I recently revamped my home tank, and did a massive water change and the entire time I was moving rocks and changing water, my Darwin clown just kept biting my hand...the stress of my hand in the water wasn't enough to keep him from trying to kill me (grin).

Jay
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new